Rifle for beginner

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
noobiechickenlady said:
big brown horse said:
Note to self, don't mess with noobiechickenlady!!
:yuckyuck
Just so you know BBH, I only shoot zombies & pests. As long as you're not one or the other, you'll be fine. Come sit a spell :D
I've been known to be a pest. :hide
Oh darn, well then... FIRE IN THE HOLE! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Buglit, I agree with the post about .22 rifle being a good choice. And they will take care of a coon if you use some good hollow point shells....they tend to make a bigger hole. Also the .410 was a good suggestion and you can kill a deer with a .410 slug, in a pinch.

A .22 is a great little gun and can be a pretty accurate killing tool when in the right hands! ;) :D Just remember, a .22 bullet can go for up to a mile in distance, so be careful in what direction you are shooting.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:welcome

I'd get a .22 caliber long rifle 410 gauge over and under combo, I love mine, while hunting it is the most useful weapon for small game hunting there is.

Get to know your weapon prior to loading it, and never dry fire it. Have them bore sight if you want, however nothing like setting out a target and adjusting your scope yourself. During this time you will get to know your weapon as well.

If you wanna take this a step further, give your weapon a name, my over/under is named ole yeller. My black powder rifle is named gotcha, I own several hand guns but only one has a name, its called the eagle. My big game rifle is called big momma. My deer rifle is named bucky.

Some might ask why would you name your weapons, for the same reason my dog listens to attack commands in a different language ( not German either ) so if you ever find yourself in a tricky spot the rest of your family will know/understand what it is your talking about, not other people. The Army didn't teach me this, my Aunt Johnny taught me. She not only lives in them there hills, she is by all means a hillbilly, she even chews baccer. :weee

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am with everyone else that suggested a .22 long rifle,rifle. I have a Ruger model 10/22 that I was just out plinking groundhogs with last week. I was 80 yards away and shot/killed 3 of the buggers. The .22 doesn't make lotta noise so it doesn't scare the rest of the whistlepigs away when you shoot the first one. :D If you do your job,the .22 is deadly accurate out to about 100yards and after that it runs out of steam pretty quick. Fairly inexpensive to purchase and for now, still damn cheap to shoot. Another option would be a Ruger Mark III with the 10 inch heavy barrel. Equipped with a nice pistol scope, it is also very accurate out to 100yards.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey jay my dogs commands are in german and he still doesn't listen. :he

So if your at MP's or anywhere near there and you hear him yell "Big Momma, ole yeller gotcha an eagle".

You better run!!! :weee

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
T has given some great advice. I personally second Bee's suggest of hollowpoints, they are FUN to shoot with. .22 is also a good choice for a begginer.

Your sharpshooting friend should be able to give you the general/basic care and handling. If you have a local gun store someone should be able to direct you to a shooting range or gun club that could help you out.

Reaction score
buglit said:
My best friend is a sharp shooter with an M16 - but I don't think that would help much. Do you think that I could get the help that I need from a gun and rifle shop that has a firing range?
I was expert with an M16. They are just a high powered 22. All the same basics on shooting as far as holding and breathing. Now a handgun is a totally different thing. It's a lot easier to hit a target with a rifle than a handgun.

Latest posts