Rifle for beginner

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 2 Rugar 10/22s!
I would consider it my 2nd choice, just behind my contender!

The 10/22s have a clip, so if you do miss the first shot, you have a few more to follow up with!(If you remember to keep your clips full)
I have used mine on coon, skunks, possum, roosters and guineas!(with paractice they can be decapitated with out having to catch them)
I even used mine on a coyote, I kept shooting until he quit moving!

Another good one is the Contender or the Encore!
They are only single shot, but you can pretty much get a barrel in any length and any caliber you want to try!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We bought my son a beginner rifle,..it is a Rossi 22. and a 410. It came with two different barrells. They switch out real easy and you have the convienance of having two guns in one. He loves it. Plus you can get other barrels for it extra. Myself, I have a 357 revolver( you can shoot 38. shells in it also) I have never had a problem taking care of any varmit with it. ;) Whatever you decide to buy, look at the price of ammo. It is getting way out of site in price in our area and it is getting hard to purchase some shells due to lack of availablity.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TheWife, you're talking about the Thompson, right? My daddy has that gun, and I'm trying real hard not to appropriate it before I get it from his will! Of course, daddy has a lot of guns I'm trying to keep my hands off of.
Hollowpoints make nice big exits ;)

Modern Pioneer, that is an excellent idea. Ours are named, but I never thought about it that way. I'm passing that along to DH. We have Bertha (SAR3) Rumble (12ga pump) and The Twins (the two 45s that are virtually identical, only the grips are different)

Free, it really depends on where you go and how much bells & whistles you want. The first 45 we bought was an anniversary present for me (yeah, I know :cool: ) It has pachmayr "sticky" grips and tritium "everglowing" sights and the nifty beavertail grip safety and we spent 700 on it. The second is exactly the same, except it has wood grips and it was 400, both were new. We got an excellent deal on the second one. The 12ga is a Mossberg and was only 150, cause the guy who owned it was getting foreclosed & he was selling everything! The SAR was 125 and needed some firing pin & ejection port work.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed some people have mentioned the Ruger 10/22. That would be a great choice for small game. We mostly shoot handguns, but I also enjoy shooting the Ruger 10/22 because it does not have much recoil; it is not too loud; and the ammo is fairly cheap for target practice.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with the .22 for small game and pests. For larger game such as deer I use a Ruger 243 feather weight.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You could try a 17 mach2, it is a smaller bullet than a 22 but the velocities are much higher and it could kill up to coyote size game. With practice and alot of range time it can shoot out to 300 yards accuratly and you can purchase a fairly good gun in this caliber for less than $300.

buglit

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for all of your help and suggestions. You are all appreciated.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also vote for the Ruger 10/22, you can pick one up at Wal Mart for about $150.00, ammo is cheap, and if you have any pawn shops they seem to always have some, a 410 shotgun you would have to be pretty close to kill something, that was my first gun, a 20 gague would be better than a 410 in my opinion. ALSO take a hunter safety course if available, as stated earlier, a 22 cal bullet will travel approx 1 mile. THan practice-practice-practice!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now I know just about zip on guns and we have a really nice rifle and a .22 that belong to my husband.

I have always been afraid to shoot a gun and I worry about it bucking my shoulder or something....does that hurt? I am a wuss.

But I am thinking about how to control vermin on the property and wonder if some kind of shotgun is a good choice. I'm thinking shotgun cause I doubt I will every be a right on shot for a single bullet.

I was pretty taken back to learn that at .22 bullet travels for a mile!!!

How far will a shot gun bullet go?