Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ringo was bred in a parasite resistance program by Virginia Tech University. He passes that trait to most of his offspring. That makes him pretty special. Why I really wanted him is because of his calm and gentle disposition. He adores attention, scratches and petting. After getting slammed multiple times by a mean ram, not letting the granddaughters in the Sheep pen, you darn bet’cha I wanted to go all the way to Tennessee to get Ringo. He is 6 years old and we are in love with him.

Yesterday Ringo bred a ewe standing right next to me. NO aggression. NOT one bit. Amazing. He passes this trait to most of his offspring as well. He comes running to his name. He loves animal crackers and smells them in my pocket. Then he is my best friend! We love Ringo!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not to worry about his genetics being added to the flock. He will be castrated and named Dinner. The ewe is small, this is her second lambing, second time to have a single, is a hard keeper, tends to be wormy and is on the cull list.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Domino greeted me this morning with a very spotted black and white ewe lamb.

C10D1758-4C75-42E5-93A1-C1A4D499317E.jpeg

3DA41025-A522-4547-9575-A764435F54D2.jpeg

Her pattern reminds me of a black and white checkered tile floor. I’m thinking the name Checkers.

B7E4D716-D2DE-445F-AE5D-4376626FFAC1.jpeg

This is Domino’s second lamb. Domino is the daughter of Ewenique, one of my first ewes and is the only daughter I have from Ewenique. Ewenique always twins, has tons of milk and is an excellent mother. Kinda bummed out that Domino has singled again. If Checkers makes the cut, we’ll see if she singles or twins. I’m loving these spotty lambs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somebody oughta keep track of that, lol.

I nominate YOU!!! :lol:

My rampant buck did breed several in early Fall -- it appears! But no good dates....just "was in field with" notes on calendar. No idea who was ready most of the time.

I love the colorful lambs.

LOOK at the grass -- though you said you didn't have any!?

Of course, that's young stuff I see and I do know how fast it is gone. But, a good start there gal.

Yes...those are GREAT udders! You know, there's milk you can use in there. I think sheep is heavier cream, maybe sweeter, than goat -- in general. :hide

Try some & let us know.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I nominate YOU!!! :lol:
So much pressure!!!

But, I did find this article: https://aces.nmsu.edu/newmexicosheep/reproductioninsheep.html

Short Excerpt:

Effects of Environment
Sexual activity in sheep is primarily controlled by the ratio of daylight to dark. Estrus becomes more frequent as the days become shorter. In general, fertility is highest and most efficient when ewes are bred in September, October, or November; ewes bred at this time generally produce the highest percentage of multiple births.

I'm not a sheeple - so I dunno. I just remember having read several articles (pertaining to goats) that fall is a more "natural" breeding time and that their bodies are primed to be a maximum production then.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is winter rye grass, been saving it. It burns up as soon as it gets hot, which is Ok because the Bermuda that I planted, watered and babied last year will be growing by that rime--I hope! This variety doesn't have a fast grow back, didn't know that until after I planted it.

just keep mixing other things in there as you can source cheap seeds. if you can find any other's who have local pasturage that they'll let you harvest seeds from (watch out for weeds you don't want of course), but you can always ask them if they're letting it sit fallow if you can harvest some seeds from there to add to your mix.

a lot of the prairie organizations will have mixes for sale, you can add some of those in test plots and see which start, etc.

i really think such projects would be a lot of fun and i'm envious of anyone who has land to work with in this regards. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ewenique had a single lamb early yesterday morning. A ram lamb, I really wanted a ewe lamb!

98FA5C0F-A976-4307-9664-B2DCC9590031.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucy just had twins. We sat outside and watched. Don’t know sex yet, I’ll find out in the morning. They are wobbly and Lucy is a little skittish.

13fe98f3-fd8b-4c94-93aa-85922b85cf74-jpeg.66703

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucy’s lambs are up and we’ll this morning. The spotty one is a ewe, the white one, a ram lamb. Another ewe keeper for the flock.

62bb4e3a-565d-4f87-8cb3-e2ced6f0d3d2-jpeg.66710

Eve had twin boys early this morning! Now there are 3 more ewes to lamb, 1 is bagging up, the other 2 I think will be awhile.

b597ac9b-32fc-4c7a-8973-81110fcebb80-jpeg.66711

Latest posts