Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somebody oughta keep track of that, lol.

I nominate YOU!!! :lol:

My rampant buck did breed several in early Fall -- it appears! But no good dates....just "was in field with" notes on calendar. No idea who was ready most of the time.

I love the colorful lambs.

LOOK at the grass -- though you said you didn't have any!?

Of course, that's young stuff I see and I do know how fast it is gone. But, a good start there gal.

Yes...those are GREAT udders! You know, there's milk you can use in there. I think sheep is heavier cream, maybe sweeter, than goat -- in general. :hide

Try some & let us know.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is winter rye grass, been saving it. It burns up as soon as it gets hot, which is Ok because the Bermuda that I planted, watered and babied last year will be growing by that rime--I hope! This variety doesn't have a fast grow back, didn't know that until after I planted it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I nominate YOU!!! :lol:
So much pressure!!!

But, I did find this article: https://aces.nmsu.edu/newmexicosheep/reproductioninsheep.html

Short Excerpt:

Effects of Environment
Sexual activity in sheep is primarily controlled by the ratio of daylight to dark. Estrus becomes more frequent as the days become shorter. In general, fertility is highest and most efficient when ewes are bred in September, October, or November; ewes bred at this time generally produce the highest percentage of multiple births.

I'm not a sheeple - so I dunno. I just remember having read several articles (pertaining to goats) that fall is a more "natural" breeding time and that their bodies are primed to be a maximum production then.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hair sheep breed any time of the year. I have 10 ewes, going to cull one. Then I'll have 9. Domino lambed in December, Ewenique due now, Scottie due in February, Lady Baa Baa due ?

Between October 6, 2019 and October 10, 2019 I had 6 ewes lamb. One of those is going to slaughter, leaving 5. I'll wean their lambs end of February to Mid March. I have 1 that just lambed and 3 more to go. These 4 will not be ready to breed in May. If I use Scottie's due date in February, weaning these 4's lambs in June, breed them in August

May 2020 5 ewes ready to breed. Due in October

I have 1 that just lambed and 3 more to go. These 4 will not be ready to breed in May. If I use Scottie's due date in February, weaning these 4's lambs in June, breed them in August

August 2020 4 ewes ready to breed. Due in January

2 ewe lambs, born in October 2019 Aria and Latigo
These two could be ready to breed in May at 7 months old, or June, depending on their size/weight. I like to breed at 8-10 months old. Lots of breeders breed at 6 or 7 months old. They would be 8 months old in July and it would be HOT!

1 ewe lamb born December 2019 Checkers
In July she would be 7 months old, I could put her with the 4 ewes to be bred in August, she would be 8 months old.

**OK, I think I have this figured out! I will have one flock to breed in May, (spring) **and one flock to breed in August, maybe September (Fall)
**And I have 3 ewe lambs that will be a guessing game, depending on their size and weight.
**And let's not forget the 3 ewes that haven't lambed yet and if they have any ewe lambs that I want to keep! LOL

Let's see...….sheep math. I have 10 ewes, take away one leaves 9. Add 3 keeper ewe lambs=12 ewes for 2020! 5 will lamb in 2020 and 7 will lamb in 2021.

Wild card; 3 ewes haven't lambed yet!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is winter rye grass, been saving it. It burns up as soon as it gets hot, which is Ok because the Bermuda that I planted, watered and babied last year will be growing by that rime--I hope! This variety doesn't have a fast grow back, didn't know that until after I planted it.

just keep mixing other things in there as you can source cheap seeds. if you can find any other's who have local pasturage that they'll let you harvest seeds from (watch out for weeds you don't want of course), but you can always ask them if they're letting it sit fallow if you can harvest some seeds from there to add to your mix.

a lot of the prairie organizations will have mixes for sale, you can add some of those in test plots and see which start, etc.

i really think such projects would be a lot of fun and i'm envious of anyone who has land to work with in this regards. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hair sheep breed any time of the year. I have 10 ewes, going to cull one. Then I'll have 9. Domino lambed in December, Ewenique due now, Scottie due in February, Lady Baa Baa due ?

Between October 6, 2019 and October 10, 2019 I had 6 ewes lamb. One of those is going to slaughter, leaving 5. I'll wean their lambs end of February to Mid March. I have 1 that just lambed and 3 more to go. These 4 will not be ready to breed in May. If I use Scottie's due date in February, weaning these 4's lambs in June, breed them in August

May 2020 5 ewes ready to breed. Due in October

I have 1 that just lambed and 3 more to go. These 4 will not be ready to breed in May. If I use Scottie's due date in February, weaning these 4's lambs in June, breed them in August

August 2020 4 ewes ready to breed. Due in January

2 ewe lambs, born in October 2019 Aria and Latigo
These two could be ready to breed in May at 7 months old, or June, depending on their size/weight. I like to breed at 8-10 months old. Lots of breeders breed at 6 or 7 months old. They would be 8 months old in July and it would be HOT!

1 ewe lamb born December 2019 Checkers
In July she would be 7 months old, I could put her with the 4 ewes to be bred in August, she would be 8 months old.

**OK, I think I have this figured out! I will have one flock to breed in May, (spring) **and one flock to breed in August, maybe September (Fall)
**And I have 3 ewe lambs that will be a guessing game, depending on their size and weight.
**And let's not forget the 3 ewes that haven't lambed yet and if they have any ewe lambs that I want to keep! LOL

Let's see...….sheep math. I have 10 ewes, take away one leaves 9. Add 3 keeper ewe lambs=12 ewes for 2020! 5 will lamb in 2020 and 7 will lamb in 2021.

Wild card; 3 ewes haven't lambed yet!

are sheepie spermies affected by heat? like will you get more males or females if it is hotter outside?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for those of you with sheep i really enjoyed this talk by this guy. i'm sure that perhaps you've already seen it or the episode of the show he's talking about but he's funny.