rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry you didn't get one. MORE sorry that your truck did! Your little princess is really growing up!
I can always get a deer next year. And the damage to the truck isn't that bad. The headlight is gon and now I have an excuse to get a new grill for it like I wanted. But there is nothing wrong with the truck (from the deer that is we need to replace the water pump but it's a 26 year old truck.) Just goes to show older vehicles are worth the headache.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I am starting to go down the rabbit hole that is buckskin. I want to tan the hides from the deer we harvest next year to try my hand at making things. And because why stop there I am thinking of being extra and making some sewing needles out of the Russian olive trees that are prolific around here. (If you haven't seen them before they are beautiful trees with silver green leaves and 1 to 3 inch thorns all over them. They are an invasive species but the wood is so dense that it will burn up a chainsaw when you try to cut it.) My goal is to get good enough so I can sell what I make on the side. I have been researching the traditional ways to tan hides because why use chemicals when you don't have to. It would also sane me money considering you traditionally use the brains.

I have a couple projects that I want to start with, a buckskin tank top (don't judge me, I know i'm wired), I also want to make a cradle board for my daughter's baby dolls (her dad is part native and grew up out on the reservation). Yes I know pretty ambitious first project, but I have worked with Buckskin and saddle leather in the past it's just been a while. Besides what fun would be an easy project I like a challenge.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pics of your process too please! 😍
Will do

There is a reason these two are best friends Frank gets in trouble for begging then the little princess gives him her snacks because the puppy is hungry.
20201203_155922.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Years back my then SIL got two with one arrow! It scared him as limit was one. Yep clean thru one and into #2. Both dropped. Young and good venison. 😋

that's great, i much prefer that kind of hunting as i do consider it more sporting and i also like that it is quiet. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can always get a deer next year. And the damage to the truck isn't that bad. The headlight is gon and now I have an excuse to get a new grill for it like I wanted. But there is nothing wrong with the truck (from the deer that is we need to replace the water pump but it's a 26 year old truck.) Just goes to show older vehicles are worth the headache.

if i'd had a place to keep mine inside and able to work on it out of the weather i'd have kept it, but having it sitting outside all the time was just an expensive mice hotel. i didn't drive it enough and it didn't make sense to keep it as it was expensive for insurance.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its been a while since I have been on and a lot has changed in my life. First me and my long time boyfriend broke up a couple of months ago (we realized that we make better friends). And I just moved into a new place on Tuesday. Here is a video of my house I'll get a better one later
. But in this new place my dog can't be on a rope outside (the owner of the trailer park has had some problems with people chaining up their dogs and neglecting them so your dog has to be in a kennel outside or on a leash that you are holding.) So I was lucky and got a kennel for free. This is how I got it home from a few towns over. Only in Wyoming, or any rural area.20210526_213248.jpg