rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My journal on here starts with an attempt to buy a little farm. We thought it was so perfect and were upset when it was awarded to a bidder that offered significantly less than we did! 6 years later I am SO THANKFUL that one fell through.

Our family is larger now, I use a wheelchair part-time now (the house we didn't get was split-level), and I completely underestimated how much space food preservation / canning supplies occupy (the house we didn't get didn't have a whole lot of storage space).

We ended up with a better location, twice as much acreage that's gorgeous, a functional working barn and fencing, established, irrigated blueberry orchard, and two additional outbuilding. So very much better than the place we fell in love with.

Have patience and don't settle for less than you need. But don't buy more than you can use either. I am excited to watch your house shopping unfold, so happy to see you achieving your life goals!!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a little early but because I have to make 3 maybe 4 Halloween costumes this year. Here is my daughter's so far she is going to be princess Leia.
20200802_135328.jpg20200802_141846.jpg20200802_141928.jpg

Attachments

• 20200802_143959.jpg
    20200802_143959.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 321

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just once I want a camping trip where nothing goes wrong. So this time one of our friends trailer tires blew then at the foot of the mountain our truck overheated on us.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just once I want a camping trip where nothing goes wrong. So this time one of our friends trailer tires blew then at the foot of the mountain our truck overheated on us.

i'd be suspicious the whole time, waiting for the other shoe to drop or such... :) that said i am an eternal optimist and try not to let things bother me. also that said i found out that i sleep much better in my car than i ever do in a tent. something about having some barrier between me and nature and not having to hear every little sound outside.

one night on our camping/driving trip around Lake Superior we did our evening cook over the fire part and then cleaned up but must have smelt too good because raccoons came along and i was sound asleep and they decided to fight/make babies/etc and i was sure i was going to have some animal chewing through those few microns of nylon tent fabric. i didn't sleep hardly at all the rest of the night and there was an animal muttering out there for hours and i heard every one of those mutters... the gf slept through it like nothing happened... lol

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So a little update on everything. The garden didn't do goog this year. I got 5 tomatos off of 4 plants, 3 zucchini of of 6 plants and 1 pepper off of 12 plants. But the grapes and herbs did amazing. And because we have amazing friends we got a box of Chili Peppers.
20200911_175755.jpg20200911_170642.jpg
I also took my field test for hunters safety today and passed so I can get a deer this year. And ron got a elk tag this year and he is going our on Sunday.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your garden didn't do much this year. Gardening in Wyoming is tough! IF it doesn't dry out from the wind, it will get eaten by some critter...
The gophers chewed up every irrigation hose that I buried for my garden when I lived out there. We planted about 300 trees and shrubs for a wind break and laid down drip irrigation for each plant. Within 1 year, every plastic tube had been chewed into pieces or just chewed into.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well we just had a adorable thing happen today. Aubrey was playing with her toys and her puppy was laying on the other side of the room sleeping. Well he started barking and wining in his sleep (as dogs will do when they are in a deep sleep.) Aubrey was so worried about him that she stopped what she was doing and went to go check on him. It was cute to watch her give him a kiss and a hug then pet him to make sure he was all right. These two are inseparable
20200918_165829.jpg

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I couldn't resist
This is Frank and his sister (we where watching her for the day) when we first got him.
20200605_071438.jpg

This is today
20200918_180328.jpg
He got so big and he is still growing.

Last edited:

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a family barbecue today and these two knuckle heads ran around and played for about 5 hours straight. They haven't seen each other for 2 months but they act like it was 2 years.
20200920_154649.jpg

Latest posts