root celler questions

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just curious...why is that strange to you? Why wouldn't someone store their canned jars of food in a place that wouldn't freeze and keeps the multitude of jars out of the house and into additional storage?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I belive the moisture problem is the doors. They are both bad- still there but need replaced. When it rains the celler itself doesn't leak.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Just curious...why is that strange to you? Why wouldn't someone store their canned jars of food in a place that wouldn't freeze and keeps the multitude of jars out of the house and into additional storage?
I think she means strange as in she has just never heard it done that way. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We always keep the canned stuff on shelves in the house. My grandma had all her cabbages/fruit/carrots/etc. out in the root cellar. I never thought you could keep jars out there. :hu It's just a strange concept to me, because of what i have always known.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I belive the moisture problem is the doors. They are both bad- still there but need replaced. When it rains the celler itself doesn't leak.
It's good that it doesn't leak. Sounds like it's pretty soundly built, so I would defiantely fix it and use it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Huh! Learn something new every day, don't we? :) No one in these parts keeps their canned goods indoors unless they don't HAVE a cellar. Storage for over 250 quart jars of food can become problematic!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We keep all our canned goods in the cellar, too. Would NEVER have enough room in the kitchen for all of them! Plus potatoes, garlic and onions, but onions and apples go in the utility roomi. I think they're the ones that give off ethylene and encourage root veggies to sprout...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We just have a pantry, not built yet. :p But it should be good enough for root crops except the ones me&thegals mentioned.