root celler questions

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
good idea! My family lives close and will know about it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We arent going to have a shelter, just a simple 7 by 11 pantry....but our family close to us know about it if we used it as a shelter area.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My grandparents in Iowa had an extensive cellar under their 100+ year old farm house. The largest part had a concrete floor, and was used to store all sorts of junk, including furniture. It was fairly dry. Grandma had her wringer washer down there and that's where she did the laundry. It's also where we crouched during thunderstorms, if there was a threat of tornadoes. Grandpa kept a radio down there.

Another section was the root cellar. It was smaller, it had a gravel floor and lots of shelves. It was definitely damper. The home canned stuff went there, although Grandma had not canned in years by the time I was living with them. She did store some store-bought goods in there but rust was an issue. Mostly she did like other modern housewives, and stored the boughten canned stuff in her kitchen.

I'd love to have a cellar, but at my farm, in the wet Willamette Valley of Oregon, water would flood it 9 months out of the year. We do have a pump house, which we keep from freezing in the winter with a 100 watt bulb on a timer. I have potatoes and squash out there right now, as an experiment. I want to see what stores well out there. I suspect the Hubbard squash will not last, as it needs warmer temps and perhaps less humidity. I should probably store those in my poorly heated upstairs bedroom instead. The potatoes should do ok--but I haven't checked on them in a month.