root celler questions

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We were going to build a root cellar under the car port, but then we wouldnt ahve the cistern if we ever need it. It was gonna be a shelter, and place for food storage but we settled on a pantry.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've read about cellars that were not underground but just very thickly...VERY thickly insulated rooms that were not connected to the house heating sources. I'm wondering if someone couldn't just enclose a back porch and super insulate all surfaces, provide proper ventilation and utilize this as food storage. I believe they call them "cold rooms".

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah Bee that can be done as well. I think one of the books i have talks about converting a corner of your basement into a root cellar/food storage that way.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah Bee that can be done as well. I think one of the books i have talks about converting a corner of your basement into a root cellar/food storage that way.
Thats sort ofwhat we have in mind for our pantry....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep especially since DH and DD are allergic to mold and mildew!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Plus much more pleasant when you have to inventory or get your supplies....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
PLUS it's accessible from inside the home. I don't want a root cellar OR storm shelter that I have to go outside to get to it. I think home access is much better.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
PLUS it's accessible from inside the home. I don't want a root cellar OR storm shelter that I have to go outside to get to it. I think home access is much better.
Thats true too.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
Thats true too.
IF you go that way make sure that a few people know about it. We had a woman and 2 kids that rode out our tornado is safety though the house was knocked flat. The first responders ignored the ruins except to look for bodies. It was 3days before her out of state kin asked if the storm shelter had been searched. the kids bounced back pretty well but she has never spoken and they are afraid she never will..... People have to know to search under the rubble if you want to be dug out.