Sad... so sad

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If no one else will say it, I will... I cried yesterday about what happened in Florida. My heart is still broken - how could something like this continue to happen over and over again and again?

Now the question is what will we as a country do about it? So many things are wrong on so many levels.. But damn it! these are kids - our children, our future. Protecting our children, needs to be ---> THE <--- top priority!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know, even though they live in a MUCH more dangerous environment, very few schoolchildren in Israel get hurt: because EVERY teacher is required to have a gun at all times. Why, why, why do the PTB (Powers That Be) insist that the way to keep our children (and everyone else) safe is to strip them of any ability to defend themselves?

If I were the parent of a school-aged child today, I would insist on homeschooling my child... even if it meant living at a lower level by being single income. Surely your children are more important than the ability to buy a plasma tv.

I'll get off my soap box now. I know it's not that simple, but there MUST be a solution.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are many reasons I homeschool. This is one of them.

This particular case is infuriating because the kids in school knew he was dangerous, the school knew he was dangerous, even the FBI had been warned. But... He still did it.

I don't want to get too political because I don't want to offend anyone but I firmly believe that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I just renewed my concealed carry permit. My kids will be safe.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some areas are pushing for teachers to be allowed to carry guns. The BEST line of defense is allowing those on the front line between our kids and the bad guy to have a weapon. Look at the teachers who died shielding kids with their bodies in Florida. Tell me that one of them being armed wouldn't have given the outcome at least a lesser number of fatalities?

I will stop now.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My cousin is elementary school teacher who is one of the designated carry individuals. He prays he never is faced with situation, but is ready.

A number of years ago, there was a school shooting about 40 minutes away. My kids were still in school. I was so proud of them as we talked through this. All three said they would feel guilty if they ran and didn't protect their friends. Their mom ranted and raved at them. Had a really long talk in private with my son about being smart and being prudent, but not being a coward. After that convo, he was no longer that "little man" to me

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Without in any way being facetious, I can understand why many parents choose to home-school. How utterly unbelievable to kiss your child goodbye in the morning and say, "Have a good day, dear," and then find out you sent him/her to a school shooting to get injured or killed.

I can't wrap my mind around the sheer number of shootings since I grew up in a time when teachers were authority figures and respected for maintaining discipline in an atmosphere of learning.

I have no answers but I think armed guards are almost a necessity.

I don't have the link just now but I read something today that said almost every school shooter was on some kind of psychotropic drug regimen. That's not necessarily a cause-and-effect but it's worth investigating thoroughly for unknown side effects.

My heart is also very heavy tonight -- especially after looking at the bright smiling faces of the victims. How senseless and outrageous their loss is to us all.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This shooter was reported to the FBI 6 weeks before the shooting in a very detailed and long phone call to the FBI tip line. And the FBI did nothing.