SALE ALERT - Turkey

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's on Like Donkey Kong OFG!!! :D

The way it usually works out here in Colorado is there is a flat rate price. Small turkey's are around $5, medium $6 and large $7. Per pound price ranges from 20-40.

Sometimes the stores require an additional purchase. Many times they don't. Some say you have to have the store discount card and you have a limit of 1 per size category.

Of course, since my hubby, my 2 sons and I all have different cards, that isn't a big issue :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Last year I got 4 twenty pound turkey's for .40 a lb. $8 each! No card needed so I sent each one of the kids through the line since it was a 1 per person limit. They all went through different lines. I would have gotten more but that was last 4 in the bin and my friend called to alert me and I hopped in the car with cash in hand and boogied over there! .40 is the LOWEST I have ever seen!
My DH just bought me a new 23 qt pressure canner so I plan on trying my hand a pressure canning up some turkeys until my canning jars are full!!
I agree! Bring it on sista'!! :bun Let's see who can get the most turkeys for the best price!! :pop

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I raised my own turkeys this year, and enough for family. It hurts just a bit to know store bought turkeys are on sale so cheap, because it cost me more for just the poult than it does to buy a 20 lb turkey at $.19/lb. :/ But at least I know what mine ate, how much love they got, etc. Still hurts the pocketbook though. :lol:
Exactly. Ours won't be big enough until Dec, though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I no longer stock up on turkeys. My husband has decided that he doesn't like turkey leftovers, so what's the point? :(

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* passes out *

turkey stock
turkey salad
turkey enchiladas
turkey n noodles
turkey meatballs
turkey tacos
turkey pasta

i could go on and on...

but we dont actually ROAST a whole turkey - we part them up into easy to fix/cook pieces then can or freeze for easy peasy dinners.

i'm fixin to work on that right now.....

:)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I agree that I prefer homegrown turkeys or wild ones, but now that we have a freezer.... I'll be stocking up too. I like making turkey stock and when we are tired of leftovers, even from smaller portions, I make dogfood.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thinking out loud...My beef order just fell through so I guess I'll have room in the freezer for turkey :/ I'm torn. I really like the beef we buy but it was pricey. We always use up the ground beef first though, so I could probably buy that monthly at the farm market (we have a winter market) Grass fed beef has really gone up in price around here so I guess we will go without the steaks and roasts and switch over to poultry. I'll probably get enough turkeys to hold us until we raise broilers next spring.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I no longer stock up on turkeys. My husband has decided that he doesn't like turkey leftovers, so what's the point?
That's not a turkey problem, that's a cooking problem. Not trying to be a butthead, but there are so many different ways to use a turkey I can't see getting sick of it.

Like OFG, sometimes I cut it up and just use parts. A lot of times I roast the whole turkey. I can make about 3 dozen different things with leftover turkey, none of which taste the same.

Check out Recipezaar.com or cooks.com and start gathering recipes.

As for a whiney husband...show him where the peanut butter is while you enjoy your turkey leftover spinach quiche or turkey enchiladas.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I say show him the money you save buying the turkey when it's on sale!!!

That reminds me I need to can cranberry sauce again!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I say he doesn't like turkey leftovers, I mean he doesn't like turkey leftovers! He used to love them, and I had a ton of recipes that I'd make. Now he doesn't even want me to cook a turkey. He won't even make sandwiches! Basically, it's just the 2 of us that eat it, it's more turkey than I can eat. Instead, I'll just cook up a large chicken, and I'll eat the leftovers. (He also doesn't want leftover chicken.) Or, if he does want turkey, I'll get either a breast or a couple of legs.

Latest posts