Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm guessing you didn't detect a liver flavor? :lol: I hope I didn't just ruin duck for you...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
No, I would have not been able to swallow had I detected liver flavor.......

Speaking of flavor, I did make a most excellent meal today.

First of all, I had bread rising overnight from last night. I should do it that way all the time. This was my very best bread. I did try to use my new mixer....it is broken and is going back to the Goodwill dang it. So I pulled out my little hand beater. Big mistake. It did a great job of mixing my dough but I burned out the motor in a snap.

That makes two motors I've burned out in things this week. Feels pretty lame.

In any event, the bread rose nicely and I made three beautiful loaves (already practically inhaled by the men here).

But with it, I made some farmer cheese again. This time I formed balls and really really worked on squishing out all the whey. Then I heated them up in the micro and let them cool. Then I cooked pasta and put some spagetti sauce and some canned tomatoes in a pan, when that came to a boil I dropped in the cheese balls and warmed them up well, served over the pasta with the parmesan and my bread.......

Hubby was home today, not feeling well, but has still managed to tell me about three times that this was the best meal I've ever made. Since I've known him about 30 years that is saying a lot.

I will admit, it will be something I will make for company. So easy and really really good. I may never get tired of that particular meal and will probably make it once a week at least now that I have all this goat milk. It did take ALOT to make that much farmer cheese, about four days worth of milking.

I also added pepper to the farmer cheese..........that was SUCH a good idea. wow!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yay you!! and did you think about how you had such a great meal - at such a low cost!!?? just think - later this summer you can add so many fresh veggies out of the garden, and maybe some chicken and then - WOW! you'll really be livin' large!

:)

so around here "farmers cheese" means something really specific so i'm looking for how you made yours? is this the "add vinegar" one? or something different??

yay you!

*presents SD with a cheesemaker hat*

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
WOOT!

Sounds amazing. I should stop by for dinner if you make it again :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is super easy, probably your cheeses are much fancier.

You just fill a pot with milk and heat it to 180. Add lemon juice until it curdles (about 1/4 cup per gallon). Then you just strain it and add flavorings. I found a recipe online that was someones polish grandma's recipe and there are not even any measurements.

I was wondering what the difference was between citric acid and lemon juice or if I could substitute.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
It is super easy, probably your cheeses are much fancier.

You just fill a pot with milk and heat it to 180. Add lemon juice until it curdles (about 1/4 cup per gallon). Then you just strain it and add flavorings. I found a recipe online that was someones polish grandma's recipe and there are not even any measurements.

I was wondering what the difference was between citric acid and lemon juice or if I could substitute.
I have a gallon of fresh cow milk I'm going to try this with :D I already made a half gallon into yogurt, and now I have a gallon left to skim the cream and make butter, so why not use the rest for cheese :hu sounds good, gonna do it, and may make some spaghetti tonight to use it in :thumbsup

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I used basil, salt, pepper and oregano as the seasoning on this batch. It really blended well with the tomato flavor. I see the leftovers got wolfed down by my teenagers overnight.

No cooking today, feeling dizzy again. Go figger, we are having a beautiful day. I think the alders give off pollen or something when it is sunny and that gives me the spins.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
This time of year I get sick every time the weather clears. So yeh, that's when it all blooms :p