Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SD, what kind of incubator do you have? I have the Little Giant. It will hold the temp steady, then all of a sudden, the temp will drop or climb. If I get anything from my eggs, I'll be happy! I'm seriously thinking of saving my pennies, and buying a better one. Then, I'd put this one on CL.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is just called a "still air" by Miller company? I saw a photo of glenolams and I think it is similar. I think the temperature in this room is the problem, it got HOT today.

We had the same kinds of issues when we started up the chicken eggs. I did crack open the duds, and saw that only one of the unhatched eggs had developed into a chick. The rest looked just like raw eggs. Not sure what that means?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. Or maybe they got ruined early in the process? I did find it interesting that NONE of the EE eggs hatched, I had three types and I had two of the BO and three of the crosses. Charlie's favorite chicken was a RIR so it is possible he wasn't fertilizing them all often enough. The EEs keep their legs crossed but the RIR is a hussy.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Spring here too. 50 degrees again, and rain off and on :p
Same here, after a beautiful sunny 70 degree week :rolleyes:

The weather is pretty schizophrenic lately.

Is there another (cooler) room where you can keep the bator for next time?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I can try moving the incubator but I thought this room was the most climate-controlled. I think my other rooms would be worse or have another issue like cats that like to knock things over, etc.

We are back to RAIN and the forecast says rain for a long time.....sigh.

Sister is giving me the stink eye, she is very aware I sold her baby yesterday. When I went to feed them today, she rushed over to her remaining babies in a protective manner. I found myself talking to the dang rabbit and telling her that her baby scored a home as a PET and not even a breeder and SHE should be so lucky. I think I need to learn rabbit-whispering because she did not seem appreciative.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I found myself talking to the dang rabbit
hee hee hee only here would that make sense! hee hee hee but at least you didnt kiss her.

ha!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Are you kidding? She was way too mad to kiss me.