Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
She is here! She is real small, like Bindi Jo. She is a self-possessed little thing. She came with an unbelievable supply of things....I think she has been spoiled rotten!

She has a beautiful little ridge, but with her long hair, it looks like it stands straight up! People will think she is scary! It is very common for people to think that ridgeback dogs have their "hackles" up, which is not really what the ridge is like. These dogs can still raise their hackles like a normal dog, but the ridge is always there.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't think she is ill! She seems perfectly normal.....I think somebody's vet was taking them for a looooooong ride. I'm rather disgusted at the vet. If anyone lives in Vancouver, BC, I can let you know the name of this vet. I would not go there, personally.

*SD does little happy dance that the dog is fine.......

She does look like the top picture, she is very small, as small as our Bindi Jo. Somebody is gonna love her! Her ridge stands straight up, it is so cute.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love the black on her tongue too, it's cute. I've heard an old wives tale that dogs with more black on their tongues are smarter.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
calendula said:
I love the black on her tongue too, it's cute. I've heard an old wives tale that dogs with more black on their tongues are smarter.
Well I see it a lot on german shepherds so that one might be true! People always think it means chow and lots of times people don't like chows. Personally I've known some awesome chow mixes and the few chows I knew were pretty good dogs too, so I don't understand why the negativity. I have heard that they have poor peripheral vision and are prone to nipping because of it, but I'm always inclined to evaluate the individual and not rely on what people think about the breed. The pit bull breed has trained me well. :D

Some of those wivestales are somewhat true. Some people believe black paw pads are better than white paw pads and I have seen more skin problems with white dogs, so I think black paws is probably a good thing.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Family update:
So I went to visit my daughter yesterday and the granddaughter, that was nice. She lives within walking distance of Wallyworld so we did go shopping there. My granddaughter is 1 1/2 years old and yesterday her Grandma (me) bought her the very first GIFT of her life from her Nana, a stuffed monkey! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that, she picked what she wanted. She is getting more and more used to me and less shy and it is such a rewarding relationship, having a granddaughter. :love She is very excited about dogs and of course we were joking to her dad about how THAT runs in the family. :lol: She calls all dogs "Coco" because she knows a dog named Coco. I was surprised she picked the monkey and not the dog toy. One and a half is such a cute age.
We are getting all of the school stuff together for Trouble. He will start high school in September. I feel kinda like two down, one to go....;) .we are going clothes shopping tomorrow. He has decided to move into our trailer, which works out pretty well and give us all a lot of space. He found a lot of good stuff I was storing in that trailer that I forgot about, too!
Computer Nerd is preparing for his trip to Europe next week. :ep Hubby and I are quite nervous about it. It isn't like we have the funds to go and FIND him if he were to get lost over there. We have gone on exactly ZERO vacations ANYWHERE since this son was about 12, so he isn't exactly prepared for world travel. :/ I myself have never been overseas so I'm no help. Hubby was a world traveler with his family as a child (yes, the same family that abused him took him all over the world, weird paradox) but that was a long time ago now. He is going to use a kindle to communicate with us. It should be an interesting couple weeks. They are doing all this on the cheap and seeing much of europe via train, but they are going to Milan, Venice, Berlin and London, with a group of about five other young people. But we are happy that he has chosen to do something like this instead of the typical things kids do. He has never been "average." He probably won't get a chance to do this later in life so he might as well do so now.

Farm Update:
On the farm front, the new foster is doing well. Day before yesterday I got an egg from EVERY laying hen. I praised the ladies. My roosters are becoming so beautiful, it will be hard to pick which one will need to "go". I don't mind killing and eating one because I'm not attached, but they are all three so gorgeous. I think Easter Eggers are just the prettiest chickens, I'm sold!
I need to try to sex the baby rabbits today, to plan how many I'm keeping. I'm going to put any males up for sale and if they don't sell for at least 15.00 we will just eat them. Last spring I sold one for 30.00 and one for 25.00 so that is what I'll do with any males. I want to keep all the females I can but I'm not sure I have enough cages, but I'd like to keep three if we have that many. With that many, we would be able to start producing our own meat. That would give me four does and two bucks total (I'm not counting Nana). So that would be COOL as far as reaching our SS goals.
The goats are AWESOME. Emilee is in heat. There is a whole lotta head-buttin' goin on and weirdness. I can't believe Mother Nature believes my little Em is big enough to become a mama, she is still tiny. I'm thinking I won't breed her for a full year or more. However about a month from now is when I'd like to breed either Molly or Ginger.

Property update:
It is looking more and more with every passing day that the power company will buy us out. Unless the entire project is stopped for some reason, we are on one of the few segments that isn't too optional for their plans because of where we are in relation to certain natural and man made things, we are not only the most direct route between the two, we are the ONLY proposed route. I'm really not sure why they have not told us for sure that they ARE buying our property. So we are looking at everything as real temporary. I find this both discouraging and encouraging. I would not MIND choosing a different residence. But I'm not sure what will happen or if we will be truly compensated, so it is a little scary. And it sure kills off the desire to invest any real time or energy in this home because we just have a very strong feeling the place will be knocked down. I've been tending to look around more with an eye to "can I move this when I leave?" as opposed to "how is this plant doing?" which is a weird and not very productive attitude, but it is what it is. There are still some repairs we must do to stay here so it feels silly to be repairing the bathroom ceiling and the hallway floor, but we must....

It is a strange world sometimes.....