Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I really have room for tons of chickens, it is just a matter of feeding them. I'm going to let the Buff Orpingtons become free rangers and eat some of them. I was having a problem with the idea of eating those particular birds, but I've come to realize who is who and I won't eat the ones I like, just the bossy mean ones. And I have two Buff Orpingtons that are laying really well, I'll keep them because they are only a year old. It seems like my line of BO stop laying at age two.

I'm not going to raise too many more of them. The EEs are much more pretty and I can tell who lays what egg by the tint.

The ducks started laying again yesterday! :celebrate So the next thing going in the bator will be muscovy. :thumbsup

I still have a week and a half to go before I see what chicks hatched, but now I have my baby brooder all set up outside for them. It was probably a tad cold for newborn chicks, probably more like 80 degrees under the light, but they seem fine this morning. I think it will be fine though. It is right out in the middle of my new garden, so I can keep an eye on them and teach them to free range out front instead of in the back where the neighbor dog can access them. I'll have to put up some pictures.....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Yay chicks! I have no idea about the who's the daddy by leg color question though. But it sounds like fun.
My backyard is ridiculous with 4 different sets right now. My older set has figured out how to fly over their fence and the cats go into stalking mode. Not good. I guess I'll be clipping wings today.

I cooked my duck yesterday - I ended up just putting it in the crockpot and adding salt and pepper. And it was delicious! Totally tender and tasty. Yes, there will be more ducks in my future :drool DH even said "maybe we should get some of those big ones"
I may ask the leg color question over at BYC, there is bound to be some EE expert who can tell me.

I'm so glad your duck came out good. What breed do you have again? Crock pot, hmmmmmm........

*SD looks over at the three eggs she just found in the duck coop and drools....*

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
yay chicks!!!

hee hee hee i love that you're in a chicken moment! yipeee!
I STARTED out the farm thang with chickens and also that is where I found you all.....BYC is what got me started over here. :love

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have welsh harlequins. Not alot of meat on them, but tasty enough to make it worth culling extra. I was surprised at how good it cam out in the crock pot. If I ever have have one with the skin on I think I'll try those oven bags you suggested.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've never had duck, but it sure does sound tasty. Is it gamier than chicken?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have muscovy, which tastes different. They are more like goose I've heard, but the breast actually tastes like a prime rib but a little gamier. The legs of muscovy are a bit gamey but I made a nice soup from them. Great flavor and texture!

I've never cooked welsh harlequin.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did not think it was gamey. I would say like a cross between beef, dark meat turkey, and maybe just a little liver flavor. I dunno. I don't like lamb really and it didn't remind me of that.