Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Woohoo! I'm so happy for you. Yeah, the waiting for the first bit of money is painful, and I too didn't get any back amount either but now you know you're gonna have a steady amount of money coming in, and can plan accordingly.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
*hugs* the no back pay sucks, but the security of at least some comming in each month is a huge weight lifted, even if its not much.

most people get denied so YAY for holding on and getting through this!

if some of the drs stuff was after the point your dr said you were unable to work, sometimes theyll do some backpay on the medical stuff, talk to your worker and see if they can help on that front.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
You have to go five months UNPAID to be considered disabled, and then there is a month and a half delay for the first check. I guess you have to SUFFER enough to prove to them you really really can't work, even if you are starving.

So we starve until the end of July and we won't have the huge lump sum we thought we were getting (to pay my doctor, and pay back my mom and go to the dentist, and a zillion other things we have been holding off on). :hit Not only will I not be able to pay off my mom immediately, but we will most likely have to borrow more to live till then. :hide We even owe our 19-year-old son through a bank screw-up where they applied his deposit to our negative credit balance as a payment so they could lower our credit limit. (WE HATE US BANK).

However, I have been approved. This will end. It isn't forever. We won't get a lump sum but at least I can count the days until I actually get a paycheck again.....72 days now.

Wow!
Congratulations!! This is GREAT news!! :weee

As always you are a fount of information as well. Six and a half months of starving. :sick Guess I had better start saving up. :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is apparently unusual to "make it" through the first try, as well. If you don't, then you can get a lawyer and they take you on contingency. Now I understand why.....they wouldn't have back pay to draw from to get paid unless it were past the first five months. I do think we will give them a call......but I am happy that at least I don't have to get a lawyer, fight this, etc., and wait longer. I feel blessed that it was not harder than it was.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
It is apparently unusual to "make it" through the first try, as well. If you don't, then you can get a lawyer and they take you on contingency. Now I understand why.....they wouldn't have back pay to draw from to get paid unless it were past the first five months. I do think we will give them a call......but I am happy that at least I don't have to get a lawyer, fight this, etc., and wait longer. I feel blessed that it was not harder than it was.
:weee

So happy for you. :D

I got back pay, but I had been unable to work for almost 2 years. :/

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD, congrats to you!!! And it is unusual to get approved first app. but I too thought they had to go back to the date of application. Do call an SS lawyer to ask about that, they may be trying to get out of it. I dunno but it would be to your benefit to ask anyway.

But for the moment.....:celebrate success!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
:) Glad they didn't give you the hassle of having to appeal. Talking to a lawyer about the back pay and medical bills part is a good idea.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I only know of one other person who got it on the first try!! So you definitely have something to celebrate.
It is amazing that they can make it so difficult for someone who has worked and put into SSI all their lives and now is unable to work. Makes me crazy.