Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I couldn't process Scratch. I just thought he was too pretty and had hopes for him. I tried to start and just got too upset.

I'm a SS failure, I can't even pluck a chicken. Hubby would have done it, but he was on the way out the door when that happened yesterday. :th

Bandit is VERY well aware that I am mad at her and why. She isn't dumb one bit. In FRONT of me, she won't even approach a chicken (this was before yesterday). She knows I am very upset if she chases or kills them. But she just can't seem to HELP herself if she sees a clear chance to get one while I can't see.:smack
This breed of dog is supposed to be very independent thinking, They were meant to bring a BEAR to bay, for goodness sakes.
But she also has the problem of being a committed escape artist, very hard to hold within a fence. This is why she was a failure as a city dog and in all the homes I placed her in. I think I adopted her out three times and she came back each time. I also had her in three different foster homes besides myself and she escaped from all of them and wore out her welcome. I originally got this dog because she was a stray. She takes her first opportunity to jet between someone's legs or leap out a window or finds an open door and then nothing will make her come back until she is darn good and ready. If you chase her, she just runs farther and faster, happier. She loves being chased above all things. If you pretend you don't care that she is leaving, she hangs around and lets herself be caught a few minutes later, or a few hours later, depending on the weather.

I really could not understand why this dog could not learn "come" until I found someone who identified her as a karelian bear dog and started researching them. They are EXACTLY like her, they have all her problems. In addition, she looks just like them except she has blue eyes and they usually have brown. But recently I learned that they occasionally do come blue-eyed, so I am more convinced she is a purebred. She is why I tell people karelian bear dogs are probably not a good choice as a pet, and they certainly are not good farm dogs. But on the other hand, coyotes fear her and do not approach my property. She has single handedly chased off a pack of coyotes herself. So SHE might eat my chickens, but she won't let any coyotes do so.

I do have a seldom used shocker collar and was wondering about using it with aversion training about chickens. If anyone has experience with using one I'd be happy to hear it. I have used them with pit type dogs regarding behavior, never with the type of dog Bandit is.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Good luck training Bandit! I can see why she can't get adopted though.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, you are not a failure!

That's a tough dog problem to solve. I sure don't have an answer, so :hugs

Cross you fingers for me that Little Dude got the job done. He's moving on soon and I don't want to have to chase him down from across the state in a couple weeks :p and then I'd have to call him Little Dud. :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is funny Java.

I love my "little dude" aka Cody. I want to keep him. He is so pretty and so nice and such a love. I don't think I'm gonna sell him. He is okay by himself in the adjoining pen, he thinks he is with the other goats. They stand by the fence all the time so that he isn't lonely. I don't think I want to sell him because I won't find anything as nice again, there just are not many mini nubians around here. I think I'll keep him around until I have too many of his offspring for him to be useful. But I'd like to keep him until at least next fall after breeding season.

I have his paperwork here, does anyone know how you get him registered? MGDA that is. My does (except Emilee) are also registered with them but they came with the paperwork.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You will need to just get a membership. What I did was become a member, chose a herdname and tatoo (that's for anything born on your property) and you send in the papers and they will officially transfer ownership to you. The website is helpful and they are pretty good about answering questions and helping newbies.
I know there are posts about it at that other goat site I belong to. hint hint...go there :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Javamama said:
You will need to just get a membership. What I did was become a member, chose a herdname and tatoo (that's for anything born on your property) and you send in the papers and they will officially transfer ownership to you. The website is helpful and they are pretty good about answering questions and helping newbies.
I know there are posts about it at that other goat site I belong to. hint hint...go there :D
So they have to be tatooed?

What other goat site?

I don't have a herd name. Can I use Dizzy Dog Ranch?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can print off a member registration application and send it in. On that you will list what you want for a herdname and the tattoo you want. You want to keep the herdname kind of short because they only allow for 35 spaces for the goat's enitre name. So DizzyDogRanch would be pretty good, or just Dizzy Dog if you want it short - and spaces count as part of the 35, so alot of people don't use them. Go to TheGoatSpot forum and do some searching, lots of help there. You need 3 or 4 letters for your tattoo, so something like DDR, or DDR1 can be applied for. It's harder to find a unique tattoo that isn't already being used than a herdname.
The herdname and the farm name can be the same, but they don't have to be.

They are supposed to be tattoed, but mine just have them listed on their papers. The lack of ears makes it more difficult for lamanchas. It can be put under that tail too. Since I'm not a big time breeder, I am not bothering with it. The kids this year won't even be register-able.
So as long as all your goats have registration papers and they were signed over to you, then it should be easy. They will keep their old herdname - you will just be their official owner. After you get your herdname registration and membership, then you send in the MDGA certificate for each goat with a transfer request and they will send you back a new certificate listing you as the owner. Then you are all set for getting the kids registered.
They are pretty quick with the turnaround time too - I got all my stuff within a week and since they are based in WA state, then it should be even faster for you.

This is the application you want to start with:
http://miniaturedairygoats.com/MembershipApplication.htm

It felt overwhelming to me at first, but it's really not and they are very helpful.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
See this is why I love this place!

Someone always teaches me something even when it is not a question that I asked! Javamama, you are becoming quite the goat herd. :thumbsup

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well that is awfully nice of you to explain all that to me Java! :love

This is indeed a wonderful place!

I'm going to my daughter's for the day, have a great Thursday everyone!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My pleasure SD! That's what friends are for. :)

Latest posts