Scams, rip offs & stupid mistakes - Share yours so we can all learn

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How long can these postings be? I don't think I have enough time to write all the bonehead things I have done through the years.

Let's see...One thing that I truly, truly regret is staying with really craaaapy, defeating jobs where I was miserable, treated badly, etc ONLY because we needed the money so badly. Looking back, we probably wouldn't have starved to death and maybe I could have gotten another job where I could have retained some self respect.

And to echo some other posts, never do business with a 'friend' when some of the stuff isn't written down and signed. I'll skip the story, but in the end we had worked 350 hours on HIS rental properties (never got paid a dime) and lost $40K in a bad business deal that he had convinced us we'd make good money on.

Should have followed my instincts on the business deal, but he was such a nice, Christian guy...ya, right. Shame on him, but shame on us for being so ignorant.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
An education does not prove intellagance at all. :) I have dealt with them all and more the education one gets it seems the dumber they are. :( Major lack of common sence. Yesah Mistah!!
One of my fathers sayings was: "There is a LARGE difference between an education and common sense" Having one doesn't mean you automatically get the other.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess our biggest lesson over the years has been with the IRS - never, never, never, no matter how small the dispute, let a difference of opinion with the IRS go on unresolved. If you verbally come to an agreement with an agent over the phone, insist on having in IN WRITING. Better yet, get an attorney if you can afford one.

A dispute over $40.00 in wages (which I was never paid) caused us years of aggravation, not to mention the interest and penalties - all over a mistake on their part.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This is a cool thread, lets not get off topic about college educations. I think we need to stick to our scam, rip off and stupid mistake theme here.
Exactly! Thank you.

I have learned that the 'extended warranty' is usually just a ripoff!
Me too thanks to Tom Martino on KHOW. His consumer show is very informative. After hearing him talk about extended warranty issues a salesman tried to practically bully me in to getting the extended warranty on some electronic piece. I pointed out that there was a 2 year manufacture warranty. He kept warning me I was going to need the extended warranty. So I said "Basically you are telling me this is a complete piece of crap otherwise I wouldn't need they extra warranty, right?"

:gig

Almost felt sorry for the guy as his brain melted. He then admitted to me the salespeople were under incredible pressure to sell those warranties. The place went out of business shortly after that.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A lesson learned from my brothers experience: Never buy a home without a home inspection.

They bought a home that they had been renting for a couple/few years.

They recently found that the crawlspace is completely covered in black mold. Literally - completely covered - every millimeter of it is covered in black mold.

They are filing bankruptcy because homeowners insurance doesn't cover mold. They would need to tear down the house and dispose of it themselves - and take into consideration that it's now a toxic substance having it disposed of properly. Can't afford it.

All those years of working and struggling just to get a little piece for themselves...poof.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
A lesson learned from my brothers experience: Never buy a home without a home inspection.
Make sure the inspector is qualified. In many states they just have to call themselves an inspector and set up shop. My SIL/BIL bought a house that had been 'inspected'. I told DH that the fresh paint in the basement was an attempt to cover up water problems as they hadn't done a great job with their coverage. The so called inspector missed this and as a result they had some expensive issues to deal with.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
hoosier said:
gettinaclue said:
Make sure the inspector is qualified.
x2

We had an 'inspection' done on ours, fortunately it was more so we could tell ourselves that at least we tried :p than because we were really relying on it. The nitwit missed some significant things we knew about (e.g. major floor joist completely severed and sinking), AND some significant things we didn't (garage foundation radically-inadequate and garage separating from house with partial kneewall falling over).

I don't particularly rue the way it turned out -- if we hadn't bought this place (tho we prolly woulda even if we'd known about the major garage issues) we would probably NEVER have been able to buy more than a couple acres, with what real estate prices were doing (and, up here, still are).

But still. Definitely an illustration that just "an" inspection is not sufficient.

Pat

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For houses: Along with an inspector you should inspect yourself.Poke around,and really get into stuff. I would never cover up stuff,but the last 2 homes we bought had issues that were hidden.
Get a bug inspection.

Loyalty to a house/car insurance company means nothing.You can be 20 years with the same place,but if you put in a claim your rates will skyrocket.

Also,don't just accept rate increase.Question it and if they don't lower it move on.My moms car insurance rate went up 33% percent despite all being the same.Company is *looking * into it.

For house if possible visit the property after a heavy rain! Good time to see water issues in the home and yard.

Again for the home drive by at various times to check out neighbors.Noise issues,animal issues,and so on.

When you are driving just drive.Don't look for cd's,eat,talk on the phone or text. And even if you have the right of way or green light slow down and check. A few times people have almost hit me,but I stopped in time to avoid their stupidity.They would have killed my kids.

Save atleast $10 from each pay. If you use cash save the change.

Don't ever loan money to friends or family that repeat mistakes and always need money.You will never get it back,but they will be back asking for more!

If you really hate your job.Find something else and then quit. Life is way to short to live it being miserable.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:cool:
SKR8PN said:
THEFAN said:
An education does not prove intellagance at all. :) I have dealt with them all and more the education one gets it seems the dumber they are. :( Major lack of common sence. Yesah Mistah!!
One of my fathers sayings was: "There is a LARGE difference between an education and common sense" Having one doesn't mean you automatically get the other.
I like that one too.

I have collage too ;)

I get offended by a lot of stuff too ,but always remember I can ignore people and turn things off. That''s a right and a common sense choose. :)