Schwans

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK, it's not very frugal, or Sufficient, but more convenient. I find myself enjoying this service, even though it is a an extravagance for us.

So I am curious? Does anyone else shop from them? I love the idea that I can shop for groceries online or via phone, have them delivered to my home, and I didn't have to drag five kids out to the grocery.

On the down side, food from them is expensive and no longer cost effective to feed my large family. So DH and I have decided to only use them for special items, like ice cream or other specialty desserts.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I haven't tried their food. We had neighbors that used to order from them. I got scared when I read some stories about what they do to loyal customers that stray . . . . :|

Seriously, there are stories on the internet about people hiding from their local Schwan man.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
For your amusement only. :)

We hide out in the house when we don't have money.
No one wants to tell him we don't want to buy anything.
One time, I had left my car door open outside and we were inside the
house...it was obvious that we were home and just not answering the door
He knocked and knocked and knocked.
We felt guilty as he continued to knock, but it came to the point
where we couldn't answer it because we had waited too long.
Another time, we sped past our own house when we saw his truck and we
pulled into a neighbor's driveway. He drove to the end of our driveway where
he had a full view of our van. We both sat there for a long time like some
kind of a wild west shootout, each waiting for the other to make a move.
I remember another time...I waited at the peephole on the other side of the
door, waiting for him to leave, thinking, 'go away, go away!'
Finally, he turned to leave and at the same time, my small son, having made
his way to the door, jiggled the knob. He stopped, turned and looked at the
knob as it continued to jiggle, then returned to the door to continue knocking.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i dont reckon theyd deliver it to the sticks would they?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
firem3 said:
Well, we are pretty much in BFE and they deliver here....lol

OMG I hope I don't have to hide out!

I pre-order online, and the guy knows if I didn't pre-order anything, don't stop.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
firem3 said:
I live in a fairly rural area and they deliver here. I have not ordered from them, as I found them a bit too high. However, now that it is mostly just my wife and myself, it may be a bit more cost effective. Of course, our idea of a big night out, is for each of us to get a dollar burger and then we split an iced tea.:D

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Im glad to see this post. Someone in my neighborhood gets deliverys from Schwans and I always wonder if I should too. Seeing this post is a definet help with that decision,

I cant imagine them at the door knocking and knocking LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I couldn't help but try to add a little humor to the topic. I'm sure the Schwan employees are all very well mannered and it is just a silly internet rumor!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I couldn't help but try to add a little humor to the topic. I'm sure the Schwan employees are all very well mannered and it is just a silly internet rumor!
Well, some of the guys can be kind of pushy, but they make comission on what they sell, so I guess they want as large of a sale as they can make.

I actually haven't ordered from schwans in 2 or 3 years. It came up today because we saw a sign for Swans Truck sale when we went down to the Post Office. I am a huge sucker for their desserts!

The poor guy has been literally sitting there all day! I bought some black raspberry juice and frozen corn on the cob...told him that was my limit for the day but I wanted to pre-order for the 13th. He said OK, and did my pre-order there, too.

I give myself a spending limit, tho, for each order because they are rather pricey. I won't allow myself to spend more than $100 a month on Schwans.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
UMMMM, I order from Schwans. My downfall is the coffee ice cream. Matter of fact.....I told him to NOT bring me any for at least a month cuz he is making me fat, lol.
I love all the food. Cant afford it tho. My mother is way into convenience. Considering she never did this when us kids were home or way after we left, I think she deserves it.
I have never had that kind of problem with them, if I dont have the money I just tell them that and they go away til next time.
One of the meats, I believe it is the Ball Steaks, costs about $35 for 12. If you take those THICK steaks and cut them in half, you get 24. And no matter what you do to them, they are tender. MMMMMMM.
The thing I order most is Corn, Sugar snap peas, Broccoli and Beans. The vegetables are wonderful.