ScottyG and some random thoughts

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Okay but if it really was cardon dioxide poisoning, wouldn't that show up on an autopsy?
Should. I think there are several theories about what causes SIDs but I think everyone generally agrees its more of a combination of factors in any given case. In my son's case, I didn't know he was allergic to milk products that were causing GERD. If my dad hadn't walked by at those moments, he would have been dead...with us in the same room! He made no sound at all. He was about 2 months old. Big, healthy, 10 lbs at birth baby boy.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
MorelCabin said:
Okay but if it really was cardon dioxide poisoning, wouldn't that show up on an autopsy?
Should. I think there are several theories about what causes SIDs but I think everyone generally agrees its more of a combination of factors in any given case. In my son's case, I didn't know he was allergic to milk products that were causing GERD. If my dad hadn't walked by at those moments, he would have been dead...with us in the same room! He made no sound at all. He was about 2 months old. Big, healthy, 10 lbs at birth baby boy.
My girlfriend had a baby with GERD...that is so hard on both the parents and the baby...alot of crying going on in that house...and then mom crying because she didn't know what to do anymore...that must have been hard...and you are so lucky your dad walked by and caught it when you did! Wow!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the little vibrating sling chair was wonderful. before her nap when fussy I put her in it and it had a toy over it....she loved it and boom, off to sleep. for maybe 3-4 hrs. what a break for me and a great nap for her.

I think all the gadgets out there are good in their own place. Never to be over used as a substitute mom.

I never had a play pen. why bother. I always thought of them as a cage. I just let Nicole crawl all over and watched...of course everything had to be put away in the house....ugh...stuff moved up high, closets packed with stuff for safety, things moved to block other things...LOL...a real safety zone.

So gadgets are good in their place.

I do know what you mean about the car seat. Infant carriers are so convenient....but they do give the flat head syndrome.

Nicole slept on her back all the time. Never a problem ever.

whatever is best for the baby according to the parents. everyone knows their own kid and do what they need to.

ScottyG---yea the short nap is a phase...they go thru tons of them. You need the sleep more than her..HA HA HA

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
No, I think you're thinking of carbon MONoxide poisoning. Carbon DIoxide poisoning is not the same thing. It is also only one of the possible factors they think may be at work.

Bottom line: fewer babies die of SIDS on their backs than on their tummies. By a fair number. It's not some airy fairy theory, it's what actually happens. To me, that's well worth the possibility (it doesn't always happen) of a flat back of the head.

Scotty, I hear ya about babies that won't nap predictably -- oh boy do I hear ya! I had two of them. Sometimes they would nap well as long as I was still carrying them, sometimes like yours just briefly and then wake up all unhappy, and much of the time they would not nap AT ALL no matter what we did and thus be total crankballs by dinnertime (EVERYONE would be, not just the baby :p). It is certainly worth trying different ideas people suggest but you have my total sympathy if they just don't work :p The only SURE cure I know of is to wait a few years :p

(That said, my 2 suggestions would be to ask whether it might be teething (or getting ready to teethe), or whether it might be a mild form of reflux, as Beekissed mentions (is it likelier after the baby has eaten than if she hasn't eaten for a few hours?). We had the latter, big time, with our younger kid, and it is NOT always obvious in a leaps-out-at-doctors-as-a-legitimate-diagnosis kind of way)

Beekissed, I know a lot of kids are plopped down in car seats and playpens and swings and walkers and strollers all day, these days, but there are more exceptions than you might think. My gosh, you could hardly pry either of my two off me for the first year, and even afterwards, they still got carried around and sat on laps a whole big lot. Only partly by my choice :> And there's more moms out there right now like me than you might think... I see them and hang out with them most days :)

Pat

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, that's a relief! I was starting to wonder! Never see babies on a hip around here anymore. I think that's why God made hips! :lol:

Remember when folks thought that cats "steal" the baby's breath? :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well, that's a relief! I was starting to wonder! Never see babies on a hip around here anymore. I think that's why God made hips!
LOL - that's great! Now I can say "yeah, I got big hips FOR A GOOD REASON, you got a problem with that?" :D

I think once the younger kid gets old enough to be beyond carrying size (I still occasionally carry the 4 yr old though, so this will not be for a while!) I am going to need serious chiropractic work unless I want to spend the rest of my life tipped slightly to the right :p

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know how my mom's back didn't grow that way....wait...yes, I do....she had a kid on both hips! :lol: Now she is slightly canted due to her big pocket book!