Scovie fever. Bad.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, there is nothing like being told not to do something that will make me want to do it.
Can muscovies live with chickens? I am sorely tempted to get a "just in case" hen and drake. I don't have anywhere to build a pen or separate housing, although I could put a small doghouse in the chicken pen if they don't want to roost. I seem to remember being told that they will roost.
I was planning on scovies next year, but what if I can't find any?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Better hurry. I think Fish and Wildlife Service is putting them on the can't have list except under certain conditions. There's a thread somewhere, maybe on BYC.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Get them. I dare ya!

Yes, my scovies lived all winter with my chickens--in harmony. They eat chicken food. In the summer, they live next to the pond, but even if you don't hav ea pond, they wil be fine. My chickens and ducks hav never had a problem being together. Except that you need to change the water f=more frequently as the ducks mess it up.

I'm sure someone can send you eggs. Scovies are great!!!!!!!!

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Scovies are the best ducks- quiet, and they don't need a pool or a pond like other ducks. They get along fine with chickens.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
This is going to lead to me being single.
No worries. Ducks are great company.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You know you are talking to the wrong people if you want to be convinced NOT to buy those ducks!

:gig

Ducks are awesome critters. I love my little flock of goof balls. Of course, I don't have a breed that flies. I am too lazy to chase them. :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I second MTN.

Besides, if your single because of two ducks, he wasn't worth it anyway :lol:

Latest posts