Scovie fever. Bad.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would DEFINATELY get them!! Chickens and ducks can live great together. I had scovies....once....for one summer. Then, spring came, and they literally " flew the coop" Elvis has left the building!( Elvis and pricella) LOL So, I decided on Khaki Kambells. They dont fly! LOL

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee
I have been given the grudging go-ahead, with stipulations!

-they do not stand on the roof and scream (no repeat of Guineagate)
-if they wake us up, ever, they become duck a l'orange immediately
-they keep normal business hours

Feminist disclaimer: this makes him sound like a controlling poo and me like some kind of simpering supplicant. It's not that way at all.
The guinea experience was just horrible. The worst one, seriously, would start singing to the moon at 3am. From the window right over the bed. So he's a little bird shy now.
I feel like animal acquisitions have to be a family decision. For example, I would not be happy if he went behind me and adopted, say, a howler monkey.
I think his reluctance will dissapear the second he meets them.
Now to find some...

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Scovies won't wake you up- they are quiet.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We were researching our duck breeds we wanted to get as our first ducks and decided on muscovys before we heard about the ban. We have eaten this kind of duck and liked it waaaaaaaaaay better than the fattier other types of duck.

We have scovie fever, bad, too my friend. Hearing about the ban only made us want to get them quicker!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny, I never entertained the idea of getting Muscovies either until I heard about the ban. :drool But they have disappeared from most hatcheries' online catalogs that I can find. :/ Didn't really need them anyway. ;)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dh LOVES 'scovies!! They are his favorite duck. They can easily become more of a pet than a farm animal. His favorite thing to do was hold his arm out and call them and the whole flock would fly to him and a couple of his favorites hens would land on his arm and he would feed them. They are kinda like cats though. You have to raise them from babies or as well handled adults or they are likely to take off at the first chance they get or just be stand-offish at the least.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend is delivering a pair to me at an auction in a week or so, and I have a dozen or so in the 'bator.

I will be raising the young for meat.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm getting a mostly white pair this weekend. :cool:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Quailantwerp, you will have to let me know how they compare to your swedish ducks. Those were the other ones I was thinking of getting.
Those ones are so pretty.....I don't find the muscovy adults that attractive especially the white ones we are getting.
I'm sure I will fall in love though.
I never thought I would think a chicken is pretty either.........times can certainly change!

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
redux said:
Scovies won't wake you up- they are quiet.
They might, however, get on the roof. :duc

I do love my Muscovies. I've had other breeds, but none as personable and interactive as the Muscovies. Most of mine seem to genuinely like me and will follow me around.

I have one, in particular, who's a pet and who eats out of my hand, comes when I call her, and will sneak into the house if given the chance.

Mine live fine with the chickens (and will roost with them) but I do think they're happier with a body of water to splash in (even if it's just a kiddie pool).