Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I scrounged a perfectly good igloo-type dog house from my sister...did her a favor for taking it away, I did! Going to use it for my next broody hen, as its a smaller one and will fit quite nicely into my brood pen! :D

I also made contact with a lawn service guy who gave me his boss's number...they just dump their clippings and leaves, sometimes at the dump!!!! Can you believe this??? All that good compost going to waste? Most folks around here don't use herbicides on their lawns, so I'm not too worried about heavy chemical usage here.

Gonna get me some good lawn clippings mulch this spring and summer..... :weee :weee :weee :bun :bun :bun :bun

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That totally rocks!! I have been wanting a dog house type thing to put a pair of breeders in! You go girl!!
That is awesome about the clippings to! Great compost!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Class 1 Scrounger!
good title to hold! LOL

I have not scrounged nothing good lately. too busy, usually things fall into my lap but for some reason not good hunting lately for me. :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmer, I've decided to be more proactive and speak up about scrounging the things I need. Been reading alot of Joel Salatin lately and he seems to be a 1st Class Scrounger like myself...gotta respect his ingenuity and resourcefulness!

I'm just trying to find ways to make this property pay for itself...in dollars and personal satisfaction! :D

I'm hoping to let my good broody actually follow through this spring, if she wants, and raise a batch of chicks to replace some of the older chickens and nonproducers that I will cull. So, when I saw the dog house going to waste, I had to ask!

The key word for all good scroungers: ASK!!!! It never hurts to just ask..... :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The key word for all good scroungers: ASK!!!! It never hurts to just ask.....

****You sure said it right there! :)
I am slow on the uptake sometimes, I am presented with a great opportunity and miss it...LOL...AFTER I get home I say to myself, why didn't I ask if I could ?
DUH...time to snap to attention and ASK faster..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I do the same thing and hit myself on the head, "DOH!" :he I've decided to be more proactive with this little homesteading project of mine and just see how many things I can get cheap or free, hopefully free! It will be like a game....

We should start a game like that here! 10 pts. for dumpster diving old tractor tires for a tire garden, 25 pts. for scoring on some canning jars, etc. Now THAT's a game I can get into!!! :celebrate :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I could get into that competition also!
You are on a mission. That is why your scrounging capabilities have come to surface. That is a great thing!
You sound good, happy, doing your own thing...kinda like you found a path to follow. I am happy you are smiling! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, stumbled a few times over the whole empty nest thingy, but back to making plans to grow just anything on this 1 acre!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I read some of those articles on how to make $100,000 on one acre I was amazed. Honestly the articles showed many types of business that could do it. Efficient use of land can yield unbelievable wealth. Of course, for me it doesn't..HA HA...I wish I had the gung ho when I was younger. As I am getting real close to 50 now I don't have that zeal to attack and be super successful in my farming. UGH....now I want to save every penny for a Hawaii vacation...yea like that will ever happen.HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Joel Salatin has some great ideas about stacking livestock and growing things on small acreage. Check out some of his books for some great ideas....he's got me all fired up for this spring! Gotta go, library is closing! See y'all later!!! :D