Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh the way you were posting I thought you were home on your fixed computer..LOL..sorry it ain't fixed yet! :(

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does begging count? I saw an ex co-worker today, and she told me how these xmas lites of hers were going into the garbage. I begged her to bring them to me. She said she would and all the rest of her stuff that doesnt work...YAY.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't think I've scrounged anything recently.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I was mentioning somethings I was looking for to one of the mom's at church that just had a baby...in front of the nursery coordinator and she said that if I made up a list that she would put it in all of the diaper bags of the mom's in the nursery. WOOT!! I gave her my list Sunday morning so I am hoping she did as she said she would. I am going to print off more of my list and give it to some of my friends that do not have little ones but, probably have some of the things on my list....like canning jars, marbles (for the kids to use in their sling shots), receiving blankets (to cut up and make wipes and tissues)....etc. I put like 15 things on my list! Now, I am just hoping people will start bringing it in!
One lady already brought me a couple of receiving blankets so I have a small stack of wipes and tissues already made. I used a serger machine that a lady from church gave me to serger off the edges!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
when I read some of those articles on how to make $100,000 on one acre I was amazed. Honestly the articles showed many types of business that could do it. Efficient use of land can yield unbelievable wealth. Of course, for me it doesn't..HA HA...I wish I had the gung ho when I was younger. As I am getting real close to 50 now I don't have that zeal to attack and be super successful in my farming. UGH....now I want to save every penny for a Hawaii vacation...yea like that will ever happen.HA HA
Do you have a link to these articles? I missed them.
I am considering selling some of my Pure Black Jersey Giant eggs as hatching eggs rather than taking them to church and selling for only $2 a dozen as regular eating eggs since they are fertile.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey PamsPride

I have been farming for over 10 years now for profit.

When I started I googled and searched every single thing I could about small acre farming. I hit tons of articles, books, blurbs, about how to make big money on small acreage.

I don't have a specific article, just from my knowledge of searching info.

here is the kind of articles I would read:

http://www.smsmallbiz.com/profiles/Green_Acres_II_When_Neighbors_Become_Farmers.html

another is Ron Machers book...there are tons of little books out there to give info how to make great money on small land. This is one of his books
http://www.homestead.org/BookReviews/MakingYourSmallFarmProfitable.htm

hope some of that helps. literally square foot gardening can triple income from garden sales. layer beds too....plant deep root crop, then something on top of that and a surface crop, all in one spot to succeed each other. there are tons of ways to make maximum use of small land.

I googled and searched all types of wording, like sustainable farms profits, small farm profits, etc. I hit tons of sites with great info....another good book is 5 Acres and Freedom

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
IWe should start a game like that here! 10 pts. for dumpster diving old tractor tires for a tire garden, 25 pts. for scoring on some canning jars, etc. Now THAT's a game I can get into!!! :celebrate :lol:
We have a huge stack of old tires we are going to turn into planters this next spring, we have 2 huge tractor tires I will use as a strawberry bed & an aloe vera bed too. I scored a big box of canning jars at the church sale for $1. Then the other day a crew was cleaning up the foreclosed property next door & they asked ofr water to help clean up & they said they had a big pile of cinder blocks over there. they loaded them up on their trailer & brought them to me & stacked them beside the house for me(no labor on my behalf). Saved them frm having to haul them away a longer distance. Can you say raised beds for the garden? There are about 25-30 of them! And the old concret slab dh took out of the ground we will recycle into a bunch of stepping stones for our property. Right now it is just a messy pile of concrete, but come this spring.......!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MAN, did you score!!!!! Now, that's what I call ingenuity and good fortune! I am so glad I'm not the only opportunistic scrounger out there....most of the folks I know would be embarassed to ask for items that are going to be thrown out but not me! Recycling is gooooood!!! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If there had not been about 12 cats living in that house by themself for almost a yr I would have asked for a lot of his books too as he was an archeologist & had some interesting books in there. There was some nice bedrm furniture too, but man o man the smell of cat was in everything & I mean everything! You can smell it before you even get up to the house. We could have had anything we wanted out of there but it just all smelled so bad & cat urine is impossible to get out. Some one bought the property & I am afraid they need to replace the subfloor & a lot of the drywall too. Should have asked for the old bathtub for a water trough but did not think about it until after they were already gone(the workers that is).
Really wish we had the means to purchase it ourselves & dbl our proerty size. We would have demolished the house & I could have set up a boarding business as there is a kennel already on the property with 6 kennels in it, elec, water & all. All I would have needed was to get licensed to run it & I would have been in business for the holidays easily.

I am never afraid to ask if I can have something when I know it is still usable & they are throwing it out.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
If there had not been about 12 cats living in that house by themself for almost a yr I would have asked for a lot of his books too as he was an archeologist & had some interesting books in there. There was some nice bedrm furniture too, but man o man the smell of cat was in everything & I mean everything! You can smell it before you even get up to the house. We could have had anything we wanted out of there but it just all smelled so bad & cat urine is impossible to get out. Some one bought the property & I am afraid they need to replace the subfloor & a lot of the drywall too. Should have asked for the old bathtub for a water trough but did not think about it until after they were already gone(the workers that is).
Really wish we had the means to purchase it ourselves & dbl our proerty size. We would have demolished the house & I could have set up a boarding business as there is a kennel already on the property with 6 kennels in it, elec, water & all. All I would have needed was to get licensed to run it & I would have been in business for the holidays easily.

I am never afraid to ask if I can have something when I know it is still usable & they are throwing it out.
My SIL has a dog boarding business and makes GOOD $$!! She is cheaper than the vets office. I think the vets office is $16 a night and she was charging like $10 per dog, food included. Back when she first started it was literally standing room only and if people wanted to drop off their dogs they had to bring their own cages. But, she did not keep the place clean and soon lost a ton of business. Plus she ended up keeping a couple of the dogs that boarders left. I figured when she first started she was making more $$ than my DH!!!! If she would have just kept up on the cleaning she would be making a killing right now!! The local vets office averages 30 dogs a night on a weekend!

Latest posts