Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think our vets office charges about $17 a night & i was thinking a little less than that would be the best route to go & help to bring in some business. I knew with the holidays there would be a lot of people who would need dogs boarded too. And during the summer for vacations would be great business too. I figured the kennels would have to be cleaned everyday that were being used. There is even an evaporative cooler installed on the building too, so summer it would be cool for the dogs. I just needed to do something for heat in the winter for them. The building is all cinderblock too so that helps with heating & cooling. But someone bought the place so I am out of luck now.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Friday after Thanksgiving I went grocery shopping and found fruit on big time sale. Gallon bags of ruby red grapefruit .99, three bundles of off color bananas for 1.29, two gallon bags of apples for .99 each. I felt like I won the lottery. :celebrate

Me and the chickens finished off the bananas and are working on the apples now. I eat the grapefruits myself instead of a candybar at work.

I also got a nice big (dead) porqupine from the fish and game warden. Hubby will use it for the hair and the quills for our pow wow oufits.

Good Week for us!!! Oh yeah, the hens were hiding eggs for a few days and the neighbor traded me tortillas for two dozen eggs.:ya

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This weeks good find===So the house next to mine sold a while back due to a foreclosure. Nothing new there. The new owner has been cleaning up. The previous owner had some cattle panels he was using to fill in the fence holes. I think to keep his dog in. At least that's what I think they are. They have a 90 deg. angle about 1/4 way in. They are about 6 x 8 or 10 ft.
I asked if they did not want them could I have them. I thought there were three. He gave me 5. I am so excited. I think they are just what I need to grow out a couple of pigs. Not sure yet have to do some research.

Last months good find====Local paving company had huge load of pavers was planning on paying to dump them. FIL asked if they could deliver them to us instead. We had a huge truck dump about 10pallets of pavers in our driveway. For free... Yeah!!!!

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got an electric assist bicycle from heavy trash. Took the motor off of it. It has a sprocket already attached. It's 220Watts! Hopefully will get it hooked up to my waterwheel this week, and produce some power.

If you ever see a big fitness treadmill on the trash, take the motor off it and sell it on E-bay or make a generator.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tanks, one thing about pigs they do like to dig & they will dig under a fence so make sure it is secured way down. When ds#1 was raising them for 4-h & FFA dh rebuilt & rebuilt pens till he got smart & buried the fencing about 1 ft down, pigs never escaped again!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HM ---Thank you for the advice. I have contemplated the whole off the ground "pig patio" thing vs in the dirt. I have done some reading. Maybe I could do a cross between the to. I guess I will start a new thread and get some advice. Thanks

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
johnElarue said:
I got an electric assist bicycle from heavy trash. Took the motor off of it. It has a sprocket already attached. It's 220Watts! Hopefully will get it hooked up to my waterwheel this week, and produce some power.

If you ever see a big fitness treadmill on the trash, take the motor off it and sell it on E-bay or make a generator.
I'd be very interested in knowing how you will do this! I have a big treadmill in great working condition and was going to sell it at an auction, but if you can describe your waterwheel I will rethink this.
Or for that matter how to make it into a generator.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Tanks, one thing about pigs they do like to dig & they will dig under a fence so make sure it is secured way down. When ds#1 was raising them for 4-h & FFA dh rebuilt & rebuilt pens till he got smart & buried the fencing about 1 ft down, pigs never escaped again!!
If you run a little "hotwire" along the base of your fencing you won't get anyone rooting out! ;)

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took your guys' advise and asked. I advertised on our local radio trading show. I wanted canning materials like jars, a pressure cooker, water bath kettles etc. Suprisingly enough my next door neighbor has all those things! She called the house when I was asleep and my sister answered.

My neighbor is willing to give me her jars and will sell the pressure cooker to me for what I offer her. I think she will give me the water bath kettles and baskets but I will still offer her something for them. I just love her. She has always been so kind. :love

Thanks for the advise guys, I never would have had the courage to just ask about things before. I always bought everything myself.