Seed Saving Circle?

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Might have brocolli seed. A few plants survived to the second yr so possibly there should be a good amt of seed . They flowered and there are tons of seed pods. We will see....

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have heirloom tomato, blackeyed pea, cantalope, collard greens. seeds.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm always saving seeds... a few years ago i realized i had a large number of very old containers of seeds i'd picked up along the road, in the woods, various gardens, wild flowers and old packages of garden seeds people had given me and such. i took them all and mixed them in a container and took them out back and used them to replant a bare spot i'd taken the grass out of. not many of them did anything, most of the veggies were eaten by deer or rabbits, of all of that the only plants that remain now back there which i use are the dill. i was hoping fennel would go too, but it didn't.

this year i've collected some milkweed seeds and butterfly weed seeds. getting those from the fuzz is ... hahaha...

cosmo, columbines, zinnais, marigolds, ...

plenty of beans (i planted about 50 different varieties this year, going to have a lot of new ones i can tell already) and peas...

squash.

garlic (not seeds, but scapes or cloves to replant).

onions, bunching onions, etc...

i'm glad though that i found a new home for cowpeas that someone sent me that i've never planted - i'll be mailing those out sometime in the next week.

i'm trying hard to not get into what i was doing before which was just picking seeds without any idea if anyone wanted them or not. not many people want tulip seeds (it can take 3 to 7 years to get them to flowering sized bulbs)...

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if we should formalize a seed saving group here on the SS forum for heirloom and open-pollinated seeds?

It is always good practice to save more seeds than you will plant in any given year, as crop failures happen, but wouldn't it be great if we had back-up? So if the east coast has tomato blight and members don't get tomatoes to save seeds for next year, we here on the west coast can supply some of our excess tomato seeds to members on the east coast? Or if someone is struggling and cannot afford seeds, we can all send a few that we have saved, knowing that should the tables be turned we might receive the same?

We can also share tips on growing the plants and saving the seed.

This idea has evolved out of a recent thread about one of our members not being able to afford to buy heirloom seeds for her garden.

I know there are larger organizations that facilitate seed saving, but I just thought it might be fun to do this on a small scale with other members here.
In the United States, the right of the farmer to save seeds for subsequent crops was deemed protected by the Plant Variety Conservation Act of 1970. It was thought that American farmers might sell seed to the amount saved for replanting their own acreage. I don't know if we have the same law here in the Philippines. (I hope not)