Self Sufficient 2018 Goals

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice goals @Mini Horses, so is 2020 the goal to farm full time? That reminds me of another concrete goal I have.

1) Sell eggs. Doesn't matter how many, but I want to get that ball rolling to see if there's interest. This also ties in with tracking expenses.

I do also have the garden goals like everyone else, but they're pretty vague, and entails trying out a new garden plot but I don't have a production goals because I'm still in the experimental phase. But if it results in more produce all that better!

My secret goal, that totally overwhelms me is to start a farm business. This year that just means picking a name and sell my eggs using it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We already sell eggs and have a few egg customers. The chickens almost come close to paying for themselves. Almost. And that is not calculating the milage/fuel to deliver them. :\

So for 2018, my goal is to raise a batch of Cornish cross chicks, maybe 20-25 and butcher them. Track all expenses. Will probably stock the freezer, but will offer some up for sale. I buy a non GMO layer pellet that is twice the price of regular pellets. I will raise the Cornish cross chicks on an organic or non GMO feed and expect to pay a whopping lot more for it than regular feed. There are people in our community who want to buy organic, I want to see if I can find them and what interest there might be. Raising several batches of meat chickens a year would be easier time wise than a constant daily care/weekly delivery for not much in return.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@treerooted, I have no idea! We have lived here for 10 years and just over the last few have we been seriously thinking about pushing to be more self sufficient. Still doing the math/research, but I know that I will need a crap ton of green beans for the kids LOL (they love them and eat them at least every other day). Fortunately, we do have someone to help us/guide us, who is more experienced with the technicalities of growing as opposed to our just stick it in dirt/compost and see what happens way of going.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@YoteMeadows A food producing garden is a great start and livestock-wise, one or three of something for starters, you'll figure out as you go along, what works for you. (And do watch out for us here, we'll have you in pigs, sheep, goats and cows in no time!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My goals for this year is to straighten out my backyard. I've updated on that project as far as I got before my arm injury put me on the bench and now it's too cold and yucky out there to motivate me much. I want to pen up the chickens and build them a coop and I want to put down a bit of lawn and a decent size vegetable garden. For later in the year my goal would be to collect as much free firewood as I can find and drag home. Having sticks delivered is luxury and I'm getting them at a good price per load too, but it's adding up and every Euro saved is an Euro closer to the deposit on my first own property :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will post a thread on it when I start. One of our egg customers said they want chicken. And they want more pork, but they are ready to go buy a freezer for a whole hog. I might just be raising some expensive freezer chickens for ourselves and our DD. We'll see how it goes.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I already have egg customers. Most @work of DD & self. They pretty much pay for the feed -- I free range and they also eact droppings from goat & horse feed. My expansion in chickens would be selling chicks or started pullets. Not pushing that right now.