Selling eggs to morons

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, the hassle cost more than any monetary benefit to be had from selling eggs. However, I continue to do so. Usually, my egg sales offset the cost of my feed. And, I am passionate about sharing my love of REAL food with those around me. Whether it's selling eggs at what is essentially a loss (egg sales will NEVER pay for my coop). Or taking a neighbor or friend into my green house for a bag of fresh picked greens when our world is covered with snow and ice. Or giving away seedlings or perennials. I do it because gardening is my earthly passion. (not to be confused with my spiritual passion.)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always take Mom every egg I have saved for 2 weeks when I visit. She can't eat commercial eggs (we think it's the wash).

There was a couple down by Heppner that was selling eggs at the senior center and Mom almost bought some but others warned her off. These people only sold their old eggs first. They believed that eggs would last just fine on the counter for a year and had saved up eggs for that long to sell. It wasn't pleasant.

Then there was the lady in Hermiston that would fill her sale cartons with the eggs she didn't want. Mom got one with fart eggs being counted as eggs and never went back.

So Mom just eats my eggs now and goes without when they run out. I mark the cartons so she eats the oldest eggs first, starting with silkie eggs because they will only last 2 months max in winter in the fridge before they dehydrate. She rations the large eggs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to get or incubate new Easter Egger chicks/eggs this spring. My original 4 hens are 3 years old, the 11 in the garden coop are 2 years old. After the fall molt, they will be getting old! I have 10 Australorp hens, but am selling 4. I need to replenish and butcher old hens this fall.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby got me 4 Easter egger chicks last fall. I didn't have any large fowl under 5 years left. The oldest are 8 now but still giving a few eggs a week. I'm going to look for some more ameraucana at the show next month.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my EE. My flock is currently giving me about 25% colored eggs. If I have a broody, I'll most likely load her up with the colored eggs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some hens that I bought as day olds from My Pet Chicken, their "Super Blue" lines. When I finally got eggs I was a little disappointed that they were such a pale blue but, definitely blue. These are white hens, some black feather here & there, some with crest, others not. I believe F1s...definitely blue egg layers mixed with some leghorn. Mean roos that became stock, soup stock! MPC won't divulge their crosses for these birds.

Forward to now...3 yr olds, who are still SUPER layers! Large pale blue eggs. They go broody and are "ninja hens" with the chicks. They have calmed their flightiness mostly, forage GREAT and I intend to pen 6 of them, & after 2-3 weeks add my lavender full Americana (from dark blue layer eggs)…..collect and hatch the results! They can't keep laying "forever" and have turned into such good layers I'd like to keep more. Last year some of their eggs were hatched, with a Marans roo dad and I get some lovely green eggs from those new hens. I'll get more those if I collect while they are fertile from those roos now. The eggs are lovely together with the dark brown Marans ones & light brown RIRs. Probably going to crank up the incubator this year!

It's fun. :) Keeps me out of trouble. :lol:

Latest posts