Selling eggs to morons

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So many people think a blood spot means the egg is fertile and started developing. I got into a friendly argument with a neighbouring farmer about that once. I got him into keeping chickens and selling eggs and he was convinced of the above and would not hear otherwise. So I asked if he'd ever seen a blood spot in a store bought egg. He said yes, loads of times. I asked him if he'd ever seen a rooster on a commercial egg production farm....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a lady tell me she grew up on a farm. She told me that once she caught an egg when the hen was laying it, and she "watched the shell harden right in my hand!!!" Seriously. Casting my pearls before swine to try to tell her otherwise!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a lady tell me she grew up on a farm. She told me that once she caught an egg when the hen was laying it, and she "watched the shell harden right in my hand!!!" Seriously. Casting my pearls before swine to try to tell her otherwise!

Im gonna follow my chickens all day and try to catch a soft egg.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
LOL She probably saw the bloom on the egg dry. I had a hen lay an egg in my hand once (in-between squawking at me furiously!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been told repeatedly by someone who thinks he's a farmer that the blue eggs are the best for you...

Anyone else remember the commercial jingle "Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh"? Does that mean they turn white after transport?? Lol (edit-apparently this was a New England thing so most of you don't know what I'm talking about lol)

Last edited: