Selling eggs to morons

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are only two eggshell colors, white and blue. All the other colors and made by the hen coating the shell as it passes through the ol' Poot Chute. Knowing that would really screw up people who think that brown eggs are the best. LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, wanna really mess with their heads: tell them that the brown color is produced by decomposed/recycled red blood cells, and the blue color is produced by bile byproduct. Or tell them that scientists think that the blue egg color in a hen is caused by a retrovirus that became part of their genetic code.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I finally found this! @Chic Rustler You'd be hard pressed to beat this one ;) Found on FB a few months ago:

19601270_10155414561573936_2276409549861363171_n.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol: What a hoot!! Nursing? :lol::lol::lol:

. Blood spots in eggs are not natural don't you know?

Tell my hens that!

watched the shell harden right in my hand!!!"

LOL She probably saw the bloom on the egg dry

That's what I'm thinking, Sumi...the bloom drying. :cool:

My hens are out all year, winter, summer, etc. cooped at night for safety. I sell 10-12 doz a week to established customers, no issues. :clap They even "suffer through" less available during molt/winters.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lately, my fridge is bare. I take eggs to "regulars" at work. I take eggs to "regulars" at church. I have one "regular" customer who comes to me. I would love to shift totally to "end of driveway" sales, but the weather does not make it conducive to putting eggs out in a cooler. Many road side customers are hesitant to "come to the door".

Looks like I have a broody hen. I kicked her off the nest tonight. If she continues her behavior through the weekend, I think I'll load her up, and see what she can do. She was my first broody last season, and she's a wonderful Mama. If she's serious, she'll get blue and green eggs, all chosen for "egg shaped gender selection".

She must provide rich milk, cause her babies all grow like weeds.

No more colored eggs in the egg cartons for a few days!!!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can tell which hen lays an egg by the shape of the egg. Which is good because my buff EE hen lays eggs that the whites stick to the shell. I must scoop them out for scrambled eggs. There is no boiling them. Also means I can pick them out when selling eggs or taking them to Mom.

The silkie eggs are hard to tell apart. I can tell which family group the egg is from, but it's getting harder every year as I keep breeding.

Latest posts