Senate Bill 510 passed cloture

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sunny said:
So this actually hasnt been officiall voted on yet. Do we the people get to vote on this. Or is this one of the things they keep you from voting from..
The U.S. is a representative democracy, which means what you vote for is to elect representatives (and senators <g>) who do the actual voting on *bills*.

So no, you personally do not get to vote on this bill, no more than you get to vote on any other bill. Your influence is (as always) limited to a) what congressmen you voted for last election, and b) calling/writing their offices and bugging them to vote the way you urge them.

Does anyone know (like, actually know, not leap to conclusions or listen to someone else leaping to conclusions) whether the amendment attached to the bill is going to be voted on separately, or is being rolled in with the vote on the bill, or is just going to evaporate, or what?

The amendment is a *big deal*, in that it sets forth explicit exceptions for small farms and csa-farmersmarket-etc type situations. Without it, there is a lot more leeway for the FDA (or whoever - I'm losing track :p) to interpret things broadly if so desired.

Pat

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The U.S. is a representative democracy
The US is a constitutional federal republic. Though I agree republics and democracies are very similar in definition.

I'd contact my senators, but I highly doubt Boxer and Feinstein give a flying leap what I think.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Democracy is 3 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what's for dinner. :D

Bryannjamie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Republic- when the people choose a representative that votes on their behalf in a manner of fairness inline with the Constitution. Differs from the democracy, where majority rules. Like the difference between a judge vs a jury trial.

Cloture vote determines if you will actually vote. Like the pretrial that determines if there is cause enough to go to trial.

Best analogy I can come up with.

This bill is not good. Tracking systems cost money. That would be acceptable if it made sense. Another decline in the freedom of choice. :bow

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here's a good article by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser about S 510. they are basically saying what i'm thinking- that S 510 is good (not perfect) AS LONG AS the Tester-Hagan amendment is included to protect farms that gross under $500,000 a year.

of course, the federal changes can only be as good as the FDA and USDA can implement them, which i don't have a lot of faith in.

i also really wish that the Tester-Hagan amendment didn't stipulate that the farms exempted could only sell intrastate or within 400 miles. while i think local food is the best, i also think that places like poor Morningland Dairy should have the ability to sell to food co-ops nationally where you have to be a member to shop. informed consent like that really ISN'T being addressed.

eta: i think i have to just stop reading articles about this bill. everything i'm reading is so contradictory that, at this point, i have no idea what is ACTUALLY being voted on. i'm feeling like this is on purpose.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The vote is happening a 2pm eastern time.

Seems they removed the part where those who make alternative supplements wont have to go to jail for posting links to scientific studies that support their product on their websites... jail for 10 years it was!

Latest posts