Senate Bill 510 passed cloture

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
and isn't it lovely that they aren't even sure what a FACILITY is yet, but the bill passed?

(quoted text from here.)
Just like the health-care bill: "The devil is in the details." :/

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I understand that my writing a letter may not do much. And they may not care what I have to say. But, I wrote to both my senators to let them know I'm not happy with their votes, and I wrote five of the seven house reps to ask them to vote no.
Here is what I wrote to my senators (and posted on facebook):
I am writing to both of my senators today with the same message. Why did you vote to pass Senate Bill 510? I understand that I am simply an ignorant citizen, ...(tharr be more)one of the mass of sheep who doesn't know how to shop smartly, how to choose the foods that would best fulfill my bodies needs, how to best care for myself and my family. I understand that the Senate, and the FDA, better understands what is best for me than I do. After all, I am an ignorant American. I don't realize that the food contamination comes from the major food suppliers, not from the small farmers. I don't understand that by having the meat packers regulate themselves they are making their customers sick and causing many to die from food borne illness. I am not aware enough to understand that the paperwork and fees that will be associated with all this would put many small farmers out of business, or people who simply have extra produce from their garden and are trying to make a little extra income. I am too ignorant to realize that with monsanto controlling the genetic diversity of our food supply, we will no longer have a food supply. After all, I am simply too ignorant to understand any of this. After all, you care deeply about me and my family and our safety and rights as small farmsteaders and citizens and would never allow greed to cloud your judgement. Therefore, I would like to know why you decided that it would be a good idea to vote for a bill that will essentially increase the the medical debt of the country, and keep the US a laughing stock of the International society because we still allow hormones, antibiotics and animal feces to be feed to our animals and then wonder why we get sick.
Please, respond with all haste, as I am most anxious to be enlightened and have all of my fears and anxities resolved by you, my guardians of health, safety, and most importantly, my freedoms.

and here is what I wrote to the reps:
I am writing today, for the first time, to ask that if and when the bill known as S510 hits your area, to please vote no. This bill will hurt all small farmers and growers, anyone who has extra produce to sell, farmers markets, organics, local businesses, and eventually the national economy in the form of higher medical bills and loss of jobs. This bill is designed to be so ambigous, Monsanto controlled FDA will be able to outlaw everything food that is not controlled by Monsanto. Genetic diversity, true genetic diversity and not gmo, will become a thing of memory. Small farmers and ranchers, home gardeners and people who feel they have a right to know their food will be criminals. I do not feel I should be treated by my government as a criminal simply because I do not trust Monsanto and their buddies with my health and that of my family. This bill must be stopped before it becomes a law. Please, prevail upon your colleagues to not pass this into law. It will seriously destroy the fundamental rights, upheld by the constituion, of all americans, as well as destroy our standing as a nation in the international community.
Thank you
matthew ryan

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love it, colowyo0809!!! :lol:

(Too bad your reps will prolly take it at face-value; the sarcasm will go right over their heads) :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"A microphone accidentally left on during Tuesdays Senate session caught one Democratic senator complaining that the agenda is all rigged.

After voting on the Food Safety Act, a microphone picked up Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO) complaining that the process of setting the agenda during the lame-duck session is rigged.

Its all rigged. The whole conversation is rigged, he said. The fact that we dont get to a discussion before the break about what were going to do in the lame duck. Its just rigged.

In comments made to the Daily Caller, Bennet Chief of Staff Guy Cecil stood by the remarks.

Its something hes been talking about from day one, Cecil told the DC. The whole process being rigged against having a real conversation about tax cuts, the estate tax and the defense authorization. Were not having a lot of those conversations. Its just a symptom of Washington being broken."
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hot-mic-dem-sen-caught-saying-lame-duck-agenda-is-all-rigged/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard that all this farming regulation was going to be for farms producing over 500,000 a year.. don't remember where I saw it.
anyone know anything about this?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
From what I read someone tried to add that in, but I am not sure if it is in what was signed or, if it is still in there, it will make it through reconciliation.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Both Maine senators voted for.............:barnie.
The thing I find the funniest is that Senator Collins family members bought produce from me this summer. Wait tell I tell them, "Sorry, no can do, take it up with Sue." :gig

Today a garden tour committee member asked if I will have veggies available for tour folk to buy. I just said, "I don't know."
Hmmm how am I going to play this hand, seeing why most of the folks that go on the tours are close friends and/or family to Sen. Collins. MAYBE........ that is what my -what I want people to learn- can be for the tour. Bill 510 and what it means for you. ;)

Boy, just talking about it makes my blood boil.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
According to the Alliance for Natural Health, the amendment was in the bill.

These are some of the changes that ANH-USA and our allies have made to the Food Safety bill:

Excluded excessive punishment.
Last week we learned that S. 510 would not include the obscene ten-year jail sentences for food and supplement manufacturers who violate complicated FDA rules. That draconian language was specifically designed to target supplement manufacturers while leaving pharmaceutical drug and medical device companies untouched.

Resisted international harmonization of food and health supplement policy.
Together we worked to modify language that would have committed the US to harmonization of international food and supplement rules similar to those in Europe, where attempts are being made to regulate away natural health.

Excluded small farmers from burdensome regulation.
Among the Senate bills last major sticking points was how it would affect small farmers and food producers. Some small-farm and organic food advocates warned that the legislation would destroy their industry under a mountain of paperwork. Working with the natural health community, ANH-USA succeeded in winning inclusion of an amendment from Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT), which exempts producers with less than $500,000 a year in sales who sell most of their food locally. ANH-USA and other organizations fought tirelessly to protect the bourgeoning local healthy food movement from unwarranted federal regulation, and from the processed food companies that are increasingly nervous about the new competition. Thirty processed food organizations like the American Frozen Food Institute and the Corn Refiners Association sent a letter to the Senate arguing that a local produce stand should face the same regulatory hurdles as their industrial-scale processed food operations.

As we previously reported, the House of Representatives has agreed to adopt this Senate version of the bill instead of the awful House version that passed last year. We still do not like the final bill; it has much that is wrong with it. But the House bill was such a horror that we can take comfort in the changes that we were able to make in the Senate. And we will have opportunities to shape its implementation through the rulemaking process as the FDA puts more meat on the legislative bones.

Our thanks again to you, our grassroots activists, who overwhelmed the Senate with your letters, phone calls, and emails. You are making the democratic process work!