Sept 2020 - Construction Lumber Prices

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the price of ratty old SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) construction lumber? Crazy, stupid and ridiculous! $6.30 for a 2x4-8? Have these people fallen and bumped their head? I can remember when a 2x4 was 79 cents.

I have a little bit of building to do, but there is absolutely no way I'm paying these prices. Keep it in the lumber yard to twist up like pretzels. I ain't buying any, not at these prices! Momma didn't raise no fool.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I believe CL already has a sawmill.....

YEP -- check the lumber in that "old barn". Then, you may not be able to pound a nail in the wood...but good wood.

Prices have gotten outrageous for so many things. I hate buying anything. From nails to food.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why preps are important. Even if the products are nominally available, they may be prohibitively expensive.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to buy lumber for more rabbit cages and the prices were outrageous. $10.00 for a 12 ft 2 x 4. $30 for a sheet of plywood. By the time I got out of there I spent nearly $155 dollars. Rabbits may not all get hutches to live in this winter if that keeps up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200909-133902.png

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With all the tornado's, hurricanes, and wild fires we have recently had, I knew the prices were going to be high.

This is what a friend told me: On top of the natural disasters, when the corona virus hit was a time when the demand for lumber starts to slack off, so the lumber companies lower production to prevent an over supply issue. With the pandemic, they slowed production more than usual and furloughed employees. Instead of a slowdown in demand, people bought lumber for projects that they didn't have time for otherwise and demand went up and the warehouses were emptied much faster than they could restart and catch up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all the tornado's, hurricanes, and wild fires we have recently had, I knew the prices were going to be high.

This is what a friend told me: On top of the natural disasters, when the corona virus hit was a time when the demand for lumber starts to slack off, so the lumber companies lower production to prevent an over supply issue. With the pandemic, they slowed production more than usual and furloughed employees. Instead of a slowdown in demand, people bought lumber for projects that they didn't have time for otherwise and demand went up and the warehouses were emptied much faster than they could restart and catch up.

You forgot to add in destruction from "peaceful protests".

Latest posts