Sept 2020 - Construction Lumber Prices

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now, there is something that is very interesting ..... actually using the plastic constructively. Shoot, we cannot hardly recycle plastic here anymore because there is no market for it.... We really could use an industry like this.... Build all the housing for the homeless with this stuff.... sure would beat the way the homeless "cities" have sprung up everywhere....and cheap housing at that....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now, there is something that is very interesting ..... actually using the plastic constructively. Shoot, we cannot hardly recycle plastic here anymore because there is no market for it.... We really could use an industry like this.... Build all the housing for the homeless with this stuff.... sure would beat the way the homeless "cities" have sprung up everywhere....and cheap housing at that....
I like the idea... We really need to do something with all this plastic that the world produces.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not just the homeless, this would be wonderful for ANYONE's house. I can even see where they might be able to colored plastic to make a dominant color in the bricks. Imagine being able to make house sized mosaics!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter is a college professor in Odessa, Texas. It is a wealthy town, as is Midland, right next to Odessa. However it is a place of haves, and have-nots. She has students living in portable buildings with their families, using a bucket for a toilet. One family with 6 kids, lives in a RV, there are many like that. Poverty is real, it’s everywhere, no wonder people are so angry.

Prices on everything keep going up, it will eventually crash, much to the delight of the one world order pushers.

Our neighbor got a sawmill, he’s been playing with it, working the bugs out, learning how to operate it. I want to build a cordwood house with post and beam construction. We have the pine trees here on our property. It will take several years to accumulate and dry the wood. That’s what’s working in the back of my head....... I don’t know where yet, but this double wide mobile home is not sustainable.

Here in our area, people are being priced out of owning a home. Starter homes are now over $250,000. For new homes, they say to add $30K to $50K MORE because of the high prices on materials now.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most builders now will not give a "firm" price on a house because of the volatile lumber prices.... and like when my DS ordered his metal for the roof of the hay barn, they guaranteed that price for 10 DAYS.... so he ordered and had to pay for it.... in order to get that price... and it has gone up again since then....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday from North Carolina. plywood is cheaper there, but still... :oops:

59B52FE0-1EA0-4E88-9CF2-AF86C183D200.jpeg

FBDB2723-F87E-4A31-A0DD-74948A6F86E6.jpeg

Zekee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The main reason why wood should be treated is its property of being fuel for combustion. Even in solid wood and much more resistant to fire, the risk of fire is much higher than in the case of non-flammable construction materials. At the same time, the wood is subject to many other factors, so I do not want to build a carport for the wooden car, especially with the wooden roof. As the car under it would be subject to risks, that's why I better pay more but make a garage-like iron.

Last edited:

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pretty much don’t buy lumber except at the mill in the form of bundles. We can get some pretty good deals there.
I have no intention of bulldozing my wrecked house. I simply cannot see people throwing away so much lumber after the storm with the prices of lumber being what they are.
We went to check prices on sheet metal today. They must totally love DH. He was told he could buy the cover sheets for $1 a foot so basically the protective, outer sheet metal. We ended up buying 199 feet of various colors.
As to the idea of making a cordwood cabin....when that tornado hit us and busted our house apart, it clipped several of our cypress trees to 15 feet and so we had lots of huge trunks scattered around the yard. I told DH we should cut it into cordwood. Cypress last a long time. But ultimately I really want to go underground. I never wanna see Mother Nature that pissed again.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Underground is only good if you live at a higher elevation. Meaning, nothing coastal! Can't happen where you are....here either.

We built a log cabin of cedar once. Bolts went thru the logs at intervals, so vertically connected. If it went, it was gonna be a huge chunk to fly around!!🙂. It's still there.