Setting up shop! (Welcome to "Lulu's".)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Great ideas! Thanks!!

Now, as far as packaging the laundry soap up. A thought: laundry powder inside ziplock bags inside brown paper bags (stamped with "homemade") with a cute tie and adorable price tag that I'm making? I would love to use mason jars, but the price goes through the roof that way. Any other ideas?

You guys are priceless by the way, your ideas are all wonderful, thanks soooo much!!
You can purchase very reasonable brown kraft bags that have a waterproof coating inside and a small see-through window...they have the wire tabs on the edge at the top so you can fold them down and bend them over to secure the bag. You often will see bath salts and cookies sold in these bags and they make ideal packaging for items that will draw moisture. When you buy in bulk (100 bags per) they are very reasonable and can be used for multiple purposes~they come in all sizes.

http://usbox.com/bags_.html

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind BBH but I am gleening a lot of info here for myself. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Not at all! :)

Ok, I've been working on a prototype for you guys to see. I used what was available within a few miles (the grocery store) and got 100 paper bags for like $.50. Those other bag ideas are great and I may switch to that later if I end up selling any of this stuff. :p

912_laundry_soap_packaging_001.jpg

912_laundry_soap_packaging_002.jpg

Bottom of the bag:

912_laundry_soap_packaging_003.jpg

Filled and ready to go:

912_laundry_soap_packaging_004.jpg

The tag says what it is and the directions on the other side, and I will have a sign that says HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT on the shelf next to this.

Do you think I should provide a TBSP (from goodwill) for measuring?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
By the way those bags have enough for 40 loads in them. Using 2 TBSP per normal load of laundry. I think I'll charge $6.50 per bag.

I am also going to make a bunch of "sample" bags and list them for $1.00

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I wouldn't include a tbsp. More expense to you and most people have them.

I love the paper bag and the bird and handmade just for you!! The colored tag seems a bit big a distracting to my eye. Or maybe it's just too many words for me (words on the bird, on the tag, and the handmade just for you.) I think the colored tag is very pretty but maybe the bag needs some of that color so it coordinates more or maybe keep the tag simpler like the brown mottled coffee stained one on the right. That's just me though. You're definitely on the right track!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree with all the words....I'd leave the bird off for now. I like the striped tag, it attracts attention and adds color to the product. I personally don't like the coffee-stained tag, it looks "dirty" to me.

Looking good!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When you tea stain they sort of just look yellowed and old....they don't normally have splotches. I've never seen one coffee stained before. I like the bird and the words but not the extra tagging....and maybe just write the price and instructions on the back with a black, fine point sharpy. Paper bags don't normally need tags because they are such a great writing medium themselves. I'd save the tagging for your soft items or items on which you cannot write.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
see if you can find a cute laundry-related image for the bags, instead of the bird. a LOT of people are visual shoppers, and at a glance, i would have NO idea what was inside that bag, so i would walk right past it. you might also get those printable address label stickers and cutely print up a bunch with your name, booth location and venue address or any contact info, and user instructions (like the 2tbs per load) to put directly on the ziplocks. that way your contact info stays with your product :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
*smacks forehead* Of course, Metalsmitten! Yes, bbh, that is so true. We all know it is laundry soap, but really, I'd think it was bird seed or something.