Shampoo Recipe Challenge

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
And boy is it ever! Here is the background:

I make my own products all the time, but this just has me stumped.

I moved from commercial shampoos to natural shampoos a very long time ago. Then, due to some health issues, and formula changes, I had to go from natural shampoos, to homemade ones people sold on eBay, at the farmer's market etc.

Now I've had to stop using them, too.

Here are my problems.

A ~ I no longer want whatever I can use, even if it does nothing for my hair, or, worse, makes it dry, blah, oily etc. Whether or not I can get it, my goal is to have fabulous looking hair again. I want shine, softness, and no lankiness. My hair is thick and can look decent when I use some things on it.

B ~ I have a huge list of restrictions for ingredients. Some are ones I can't use, and some my dh or ds can't. I don't want anything around which will make anyone ill.

So, I thought that if I gave a mostly accurate list of items which can't be used, maybe someone could come up with something I can use? I can get my hair clean using bar soap or baking soda, but I am tired of settling for clean, lately.

If you manage a shampoo, I'd be sooooo thrilled. If it makes my hair fabulous (Especially for a special event at the end of August, I'll be eternally grateful, and name my next goat after you! ;)

Let's do this by groupings.

Essential Oils: I can only use a couple of companies, very limited. Yet, if there is a way to have a lingering pleasant scent, light and pleasant, I'd not complain. Some way other than essential oils? I go scentless all the time, and I'd love an option.

Oils: Pretty much olive oil, sunflower, and safflower oil is it. Most other oils are a problem. Vitamin E is out, unless someone knows of one which isn't soy source, as most are these days.

Fruits: I imagine you wouldn't want to put much in the way of fresh produce in, but if so, peaches and family are okay, as are papaya, apples, pears, berries etc. No melons, cherries, plums, or mangoes.

Vegetables: No squash family, including cukes and pumpkins. No legumes of any type.

Seeds: Sunflower or safflower only. No coconut.

Grains: No wheat, oats, rye or barley.

I know I've forgotten things, but basically, there it is.

One more thing, beginning with bar/liquid soaps is mostly not do-able. If it's important, I do have one, which is simply olive oil and mineral salts.

Well, there's your assignment, should you choose to accept it! :coolsun

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need to think about the mission...LOL

but did you ever rinse your hair with vinegar? it is amazing for softness and shine and with thicker hair I am sure it should produce a nice effect?

just wondering if you tried vinegar rinses?

and thinking about the 'poo for ya...LOL

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with the vinegar rinse. Lemon juice works as well, and smells better. ;-)

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK I'll accept this challenge!!

Make a shampoo BAR! Homemade, from scratch.

You can make a shampoo bar using the oils you have listed. If you can use it, add aloe vera juice. Soap bars that are 100% olive are called Castile Soap and are the gentlest soap you can make/use/get. It's even used for babies. You can add whichever EO or FO(fragrance oil) you are able to use to get the scent you prefer. EO's generally won't leave a lingering scent, but FO's will. Just not sure if you can use Fo's or not.

Can you use lard?? That adds greatness to soap, too!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi, FarmerChick! Yes, I've used vinegar, and like it, though I have more often rinsed with lemon water.

I use a large tumbler with some juice in it, then at the time to rinse I add water to it, and finish my hair with it.

Thanks for taking up the challenge! :)

Hey there, AmyQuilt! Yes, it does. I began using lemon rinses before high school, and we don't want to talk about how long ago that was! :rolleyes: :D

I used to make my own soap, which is a lye based soap including 3 types of oils, and tallow, for us, and for gifts. However, the oils would need to be changed now, and I am not really sure that it would make my hair look good. It would clean it, yes, but I've just gotten so tired of it just looking okay, and not being pleased with the results.

But, I have been thinking of creating a new soap recipe anyway, using goat's milk. If it's not good for my hair, it's bound to be great for our skin! :)

I'll go and read up on fragrance oils. To date, I think I've always used essential oils.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm off to Google! :)

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's what I learned:

Where the essential oils I've used are from botanicals, fragrance oils can be synthetic.

In itself, at this point in my desperation, that's not a problem. However, the use of carrier oils, is. Apparently carrier oils are vegetable based, by and large, and some of the choices for carrier oils include nut oils. (Almond etc.)

It does make sense that the fragrance lasts longer in fatty oils, and I think I'm creating something like a fragrance oil.

I have a sweet orange essential oil which is such a bright and invigorating scent, that I wanted to dab a little on once it a while. But, you can't use the essential oil on your skin pure, so I took a little glass bottle, and mixed some olive oil with it.

Well, that was about three years ago. It's never gone bad or funny in any way, and still smells great. I wonder if something like that added to my shampoo would work well? If I get a shampoo recipe, I'll take a little to the side, add some, and find out! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know what you mean "wanting just nicer hair"

I color mine blonde and honestly it is fried at the ends and such. But I love blonde..LOL...so I use a product called Soft as Silk on my hair from the salon. Works good for me and adds some oils back in....

but I googled natural shampoo and this is what I found that is SUPER basic you can add I believe:

Natural Shampoo
Clean your hair with these natural ingredients
Churn the following ingredients in a blender:
1 oz. Olive oil
1 egg
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
* teaspoon apple cider vinegar.

Seems very basic but that is what they recommended??????
sound good at all to you?????

just a shot for you

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I was going to wash my hair this afternoon when it got hot (Double duty: clean hair, and cools you off! Plus, it dries faster!). why don't I just use this?

Let's see....eggs, check! Olive oil, check! Lemon juice, check! Apple cider vinegar...uh, oh, I may be out. I wonder if rice vinegar would work as well? Well, even if not, it will work. Okay, I can do this, and let you know how it goes!

Do you know what this reminds me of? "Back in the day" a lot of girls used mayonnaise on their hair to condition. And what's in mayonnaise? Eggs, oil, acid....:D Except that I'm not a fan of the scent of mayo, so this has to be better!

Even if one just used this once a month for hair health.

Have you ever used panthenol? I'm not sure, but long ago I used Pantene for a while, and my hair really was wonderful looking/feeling. I attributed it to the panthenol. Maybe if you find it at a salon, or in a product you'd like to use, it would help your hair also?

My sister changes her hair color now and then, and she's begun using Herbal Essence color. She seems to feel that it's less harsh on her hair than some others. I can't say for sure, as she and I live 750 miles apart now, but it looks good in pictures! :)

Thank you for the recipe! I've got to wash my hair in something today; it might as well be something for science! :cool:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the recipe! I've got to wash my hair in something today; it might as well be something for science!

HA HA HA HA HA
You had me laughing good one that one...you being the guinea pig on this shampoo.

Definitely let me know how it works for you....it seems so silly simple and I can't wait to hear how it does. I own 400 chickens, eggs are never in short supply..HA HA

and yes, I used mayo a few times but I found it took forever to rinse out and I was too slimey it seemed after..HA HA

Pantene...I did try that a while ago but price makes me now buy cheaper stuff. I guess sometimes it doesn't pay to buy cheaper....I want that great look on a cheap budget...LOL

I noticed if I color my hair more often it stays nicer...salon lady said that the hair shaft closes when colored and no frizzy look, but after so long it opens up and frizzy type comes back, so recoloring closes it again....she told me to buy this NO-color type treatment that closes the shaft in between colorings. I haven't bought it yet but I will get it and see? Heck I can't win?--LOL