Shampoo Recipe Challenge

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hair looks as if I rubbed oil through it two days after I wash it. A week after I wash it, it looks so stringy and awful. I have to wash it every couple of days or every day.

Monica

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't tried these, but I just found an ad for a line of products called YES TO CARROTS sold at walgreens. It says it uses organic fruits and veggies and dead sea mud. I don't know if anyone in your family would be able to use these or not.

I found their website http://yestocarrots.com/ they also now have yes to tomatoes for oily/combo skin and yes to cucumbers for sensitive skin.

Monica

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What about something like this...Mind you I am no expert but I use them to wash my clothes with. I prepare them by soaking them in hot water which make like a thickish tea. Could be way off base here LOL!
http://maggiespureland.com/index.html

under FAQ:Can I use Soap Nuts to clean more than my laundry?
Yes! In Indian Ayurvedic science, Soap Nuts are used as a skin
and hair cleanser.

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get the mixture the proper proportions for my hair, but I've been trying to make a potion of baking soda and water. Theoretically, one makes a paste and uses it to clean the scalp.

I have very long hair. Getting the mixture thin enough to go thru my hair to get to the scalp, makes it too thin to use to scrub well.

Still working on it.

Am also scouting about for soapwort root, to make a shampoo out of that.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here is a recipe I found on Associated Content.com for home-made shampoo (plus conditioner)

Castile soap has been around for many years, and its no wonder why. Castile soap is good for a number of uses, and homemade shampoo is one of them. To make Castile shampoo, simply grate a bar of Castile soap with a grater. Blend the Castile soap in an electric food processor or blender along with enough warm water to give it a thick pudding-like consistency. After this mixture is well blended, add about 1/4 cup of olive oil, and cup of distilled water. Continue blending the mixture until its well blended and ready to use. This homemade shampoo will make your hair soft, shiny, and naturally clean.

Mayonnaise for Hair?

You wont have to go far or work very hard to make this homemade hair conditioner. You only have to go as far as your refrigerator. Real mayonnaise is a fantastic conditioner. Although mayonnaise looks a lot like spreadable salad dressing, only real mayonnaise contains the right ingredients for conditioning hair.

Before washing your hair, condition it with a generous amount of mayonnaise. Simply dampen your hair, and apply mayonnaise as you would apply a conditioner. Cover your hair with plastic wrap, and cover your head with a bath towel. Allow the mayonnaise to deeply condition your hair for thirty or forty minutes, rinse your hair with warm water, and wash your hair as usual. Your hair will feel soft, exceptionally clean, and this homemade conditioner will make it look fantastic.

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just joined this group, and love it! (I had to say that . .lol)
So, my husband and I were just talking this past week about making our own soaps and shampoo's. I already make all of our cleaner, laudry soap. I haven't started making shampoo, conditioner or dishsoap.

I think I may try the shampoo this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes. I agree with not washing too often, but when you spend lots of time outside and with animals . .well, sometimes it has to be done more freequently that I like. Maybe I will make some head scarves to keep my hair cleaner longer . . lol:lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
OkieJonesClan said:
I just joined this group, and love it! (I had to say that . .lol)
So, my husband and I were just talking this past week about making our own soaps and shampoo's. I already make all of our cleaner, laudry soap. I haven't started making shampoo, conditioner or dishsoap.

I think I may try the shampoo this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes. I agree with not washing too often, but when you spend lots of time outside and with animals . .well, sometimes it has to be done more freequently that I like. Maybe I will make some head scarves to keep my hair cleaner longer . . lol:lol:
:welcome

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I know what you mean "wanting just nicer hair"

I color mine blonde and honestly it is fried at the ends and such. But I love blonde..LOL...so I use a product called Soft as Silk on my hair from the salon. Works good for me and adds some oils back in....

but I googled natural shampoo and this is what I found that is SUPER basic you can add I believe:

Natural Shampoo
Clean your hair with these natural ingredients
Churn the following ingredients in a blender:
1 oz. Olive oil
1 egg
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
* teaspoon apple cider vinegar.

Seems very basic but that is what they recommended??????
sound good at all to you?????

just a shot for you
thats essentially Mayo :) but that has been used as a hair product for a long time.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She might be better off using the olive oil/egg one since store bought mayo may contain soy. I think she said no soy products. The one in my pantry has soybean oil, which makes me sad.

Latest posts