Shampoo Recipe Challenge

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So Tutter, have you tried your experiment yet? We have a lot of allergies in our family and are very limited in what we can use also. We have to use unscented and add essential oils that no one is allergic to if we want a scent. One that works well and contains panthenol is Jason fragrance free Daily shampoo. Let us know how your experiment goes and we may try it too.

OaklandCityFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey Tutter, nice to see you on this forum too!

So, one thing that may be of interest to you. Have you ever tried using jojoba oils? Many shampoos contain it now and it helps with the shine and strength of hair. Adding a few drops in a cleanser might the ticket.

My very good friends own LaRonna Jojoba Farm in Desert Center (down south) you should check out their website, I'm sure you'll really like their farm too!

I might not have an exact recipe for you but at least a good ingredient. Jojoba Oil can also help with so many ailments folks have. I'd be more than happy to get some for you.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I could do it, but on another forum, there was a thread about not using anything on your hair except warm water. They said it was a bit greasy at first, but then your hair adjusted to not having the oils removed and quit producing as much. They said after three weeks it was not bad and after three months, they had the best looking hair ever.

robbobbin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It may sound weird, but I actually only wash my roots, I find it helps keep my long curlie hair in order longer.
Occasionally I'll suds up to the ends-but not often. Just the rinse through of suds is enough to clean but not remove the oils where needed. If that makes sense?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When my hair was so long that I could sit on it, I used that method as well.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to know this guy who had beutiful long thick wavy hair. It was some of the softest hair I had ever felt. For years he had only used dishsoap and fabric softener on it!! I haven't ever tried it though, so I don't know. But it sure did work for him.
I have no olive oil right now or I would try that natural shampoo. I have been looking into making myown for a while now, but something else keeps coming up that is more important.

Monica

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I sometimes use dishsoap to shampoo with, if I am too far from the downstairs bathroom when I feel like washing my hair:>) I have to say though that dishsoap probably has more harmful chemicals in it than shampoo...and I would never use fabric softner on my body...I hate to use it on my clothes...is that guy still alive and healthy???:>)

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's why i didn't ever try it myself. I don't know, he was a nam vet Medivac heli pilot. He had some problems. Last I heard he was living in a cave in N. CA. I miss him lots. Very nice guy. Just saw way more than he could handle, just like a lot of vets from many wars.

Monica

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we have not heard from Tutter on this forum, or on TEG, since the forest fires this past summer. I have been thinking about her muchly and hope that she is well and that we will hear from her soon. I miss her! :(

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Trick is to not wash your hair every day - or heck every WEEK, limit you hair washing!!!

I mix my shampoo up with water sometimes, pour the water shampoo over wet hair and wash gently then rinse. No need to use it straight from the bottle - and no need to wash it very often....

Latest posts