Sheep not well, sad news and some helpful info pg 9-10

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dolly (6-7 yo border cheviot) is down, not eating or drinking. Started yesterday. I dewormed her yesterday and today I gave her sheep vitamins and selenium etc. She was standing yesterday, just looking blue, today she has been down all day (and probably last night).

Merle suggested ACV and molasses in warm water. I have been giving it to her off and on today. She seems to perk up, gets up a bit then goes down again. I gave her ACV this morning in water and just started to give the molasses in water about 45 minutes ago.

One issue is it is going to storm tonight and tomorrow, and she is down the hill under the trees. Sam and I tried to get her up under the shelter, but she is in no mood to walk up the hill.

She is making tiny grunting noises. :(

Do you suggest anything else or should I call the vet?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks noobie!

This happened once in the past and a good deworming and vitamin paste did the trick. She is usually a very hardy sheep.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would def call the vet, even just to do a phone consult. IF the deworming didn't do the trick like it did last time, I would suspect it might be something else, and the vet would have more answers for you. Is it possible she ate soemthing that she shouldn't have? Also, with a astorm coming, I woudl get her ito thte barn asap. borrow a trailer and load her up if you have to. Keep us informed please. Hope she pulls through ok.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I didn't think she was pregnant, but there is a slight chance...I do have a ram lamb.

I was reading about a ewe over at BYH that was pregnant-sick. She sounds like she has the same symptoms.

We got her up finally and moved her to a shelter. She laid back down, but not flat. She is much better than she was this morning...that gives me hope.

Vet can't come till tomorrow. :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
from the extension site

Pregnancy Disease
Pregnancy disease is an upset or interference in the metabolism cycle of carbohydrates; it is not related in any way to the amount of exercise the ewe gets. In converting fatty acids and particularly body fat to glucose, ketones accumulate in the bloodstream and blood glucose levels decline. The ketones are very toxic to the ewe, resulting in death within twofive days.

Pregnancy disease occurs only among ewes carrying multiple fetuses and usually only during the last fourfive weeks of gestation. The ewe stops eating, which reduces her source of carbohydrate. She separates from the flock, often wanders aimlessly, and may press her head against the barn or feedbunk.

Unless a ewe is treated very soon after the first signs are noticed, little can be done. Separate her from the flock, drench her with pint propylene glycol twice a day until she eats, and offer her grain and hay. Drenching with glucose, honey, or molasses or injecting 4050 cc of 510% glucose under the skin also may be used with reasonable success. If the ewe is not treated the first day, however, the prognosis is poor.

To prevent pregnancy disease, keep ewes gaining weight during the last four weeks of gestation. Increase the energy intake by feeding, in addition to hay, .51.0 pound grain per ewe daily. Fat ewes may be more susceptible, because they have difficulty increasing in weight, have limited feed capacity in relation to their size, and have an abundant amount of fat to convert to energy.
If this is what it is, I sure hope I caught it in time. :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score

I'm so happy!! I'm pretty sure she isn't pregnant and doen't have pregnancy disease...thank goodness b/c I would be feeling pretty guilty right about now. She was just feeling low.

I also gave her some baking soda in water about an hour or so ago. I'm not sure what I gave her that made her feel better, but she is better.

(She is my favorite sheep. :) )