Sheep not well, sad news and some helpful info pg 9-10

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. We aren't quite out of the woods yet, but she is responding and getting better. I am treating her for toxemia, thanks to a thread by Aggie over at BYH. Cross your fingers! :fl

Dry BS? Wow, so they don't mind eating it...hmm.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
way back when I had goats, I would hand feed them some at times, if they were really distended on the left, from all that good spring grass.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yep, you can cure it, but it may take a while....like until after she lambs and even a while after that. :/ Are you giving her any grain? I would definitely add some to her diet if she's only on hay. She needs concentrated feed right now to get her through. And if she's not bloated I wouldn't give her BS. You don't want to throw any more wrenches in right now.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Yep, you can cure it, but it may take a while....like until after she lambs and even a while after that. :/ Are you giving her any grain? I would definitely add some to her diet if she's only on hay. She needs concentrated feed right now to get her through. And if she's not bloated I wouldn't give her BS. You don't want to throw any more wrenches in right now.
She is really responding to the treatment...that gives me hope. I offered grain but she wasn't interested...I'll keep a bucket in there with her. She is drinking. Ok, no BS from now on, since she isn't bloated.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!!! :hugs (I got the 'treatment' idea from a thread you responded to on BYH...luckily, between two different feed stores, I got all the ingredients.)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Was it Rambo's recipe? Let me know how it works! I (luckily) haven't had to try it yet (Knock on wood several times!!!). I really hope she pulls through!!! I'm off to bed now. GOOD LUCK and update us frequently!!! :hugs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Was it Rambo's recipe? Let me know how it works! I (luckily) haven't had to try it yet (Knock on wood several times!!!). I really hope she pulls through!!! I'm off to bed now. GOOD LUCK and update us frequently!!! :hugs
Yes, that was it.

I have done some internet research on pregnancy toxemia outcomes in sheep. There is not much out there. Most sites really scare me (to the point of putting her down) and some give me a bit of hope.

She is resting quietly right now in a big pile of soft bedding. I hope I caught this in time.

(Good night!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just gave her a big drench of raw ACV, raw Honey and water to get her through the night. (THANK YOU BEEKISSED!!!)

I'll post how she is in the morning. She was actually putting up a good fight when I was drenching her. A good sign.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Long day today...

Yesterday she could barely get up, right? Well this morning she was standing, good sign. I gave her some raw ACV-raw honey and water and then I had to run Sam to speech. When I got back, Dolly had aborted one lamb and was in the process of aborting another one, but she seemed exhausted and stressed. I helped her by gently pulling the lamb out when she pushed. They were pretty big lambs too.

I thought there may be a third lamb b/c she did a lot of getting up and down and walking. (Remember she couldn't walk yesterday.) I gave her some kefir and elyctrolytes in between her movements. No third lamb thank goodness b/c she is pretty wiped out. Now she is just resting quietly.

We will keep an eye on the passing of the placenta for the next 24 hours. Merle told me to try to milk her to get it to pass. If not, he gave me the name of an herbal supplement to give her.

I will continue my treatment until she eats grain. I think with the twins gone, she may make it. I am so sad though, I feel just awful. :(

Merle walked me through everything via facebook. Love that guy!