Sheep not well, sad news and some helpful info pg 9-10

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I housesat for some people with sheep once. It was a nightmare, one sheep died from worm infestation, and i had to catch and medicate all the others. so I am really glad your sheep is doing well. When in doubt, I call the vet!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So glad, Sally!!! But I was kinda hopin' you had a little one on the way....... :fl I hope she stays well and doesn't give you a scare anymore.

I got to see many baby hair sheep lambs the other day and they were so darn cute I had to restrain myself. There was even one that looked almost like my Black Betty.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if her left side is very distended it could be bloat
bloat kills definitely

baking soda is a big relief for them......leave free choice baking soda out in the barn I do for goats

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know me too. It was a blessing in disguise though, I just can't handle another iron in the fire so to speak.

chickensduckandagoose, yeah, sheep are very stoic and don't let on they aren't feeling well until it is almost too late. I've gotten pretty good at telling when one is off just a bit. Just been so busy this week I slacked off.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm glad she's doing better! If she does it again, or even starts acting "off", I'd go ahead and treat her for toxemia just in case! :) :hugs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
bloat kills definitely

baking soda is a big relief for them......leave free choice baking soda out in the barn I do for goats
Dry or in their water? I'm assuming in their water, but I just want to make sure. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
FarmerChick said:
bloat kills definitely

Dry or in their water? I'm assuming in their water, but I just want to make sure. :)
You can give them a handful of BS dry.