Sheep not well, sad news and some helpful info pg 9-10

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Just gave her her last treatment for the evening. The treatments have morphed a bit. I am still adding cornmeal to each one. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but it is the only way for me to get some corn into her. :hu Which is what they say to try to feed a toxemic sheep. I figured it was just about as near to corn feed.

I am also giving her goat milk yogurt and honey and water. Once a day I give her a splash of raw acv mixed in water with a bit of honey or molasses.

Anyway to make a really long story longer... :rolleyes:

She is really struggling to get away from me now and tries to walk away...I take those as good signs. (She is also full of yogurt, honey and molasses too. :p )

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay! Can you get any grass or hay into her to get her rumen working again? Is anything growing yet in your area to tempt her?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I made her a grass smoothie drench today. Thank you.

I wish I knew when she will get her appetite back. I beginning to grow weary of all these drenchings. I also worry that I might aspirate her. I'm still moving her around, so she won't get too weak to stand etc.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
She won't even nibble on fresh, green grass? Wow. Yikes. I forget...did you give her some B vitamins? Sometimes that can stimulate appetite. But I don't know sheeples..... Catnip is also supposed to be an appetite stimulant, so I've heard.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The vitamin paste (has b's in it) I have says to only give it once a month. I already gave it 5 days or so ago.

Do you think it would hurt to give her another dose?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.....no idea. Where is Bee?

She does need some long-staple grass to get that rumen working, fermenting fibrous stuff. What would happen if you stuffed a few blades of fresh-picked grass in her mouth a few times? Would it stress her or would maybe she start chewing? Maybe? She may not be ready for it yet, though.

I read on byh a long time ago about someone who doesn't use purchased probiotics, but waits until a healthy goat burps up a cud and sticks her hand in and steals some....then feeds it to the unhealthy goat! Sounded rather brilliant to me.... Waddaya think?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well Free, the things we do for our animals :gig Grabbing a cud and feeding it to another.

That is brilliant. Hope dolly gets better!! None of my friends know livestock, they are all equine or I would ask them for you.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The grass smoothies won't cut it hua?

I could steal Oliver's cud...great idea! I'll try tomorrow.

I gave her a good stern talking to today. "You better start doing your share! EAT!!" (She doesn't look stressed or in pain. Just very docile.)

eta, can't spell

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I second that. Steal another sheeps cud and give it to her. Whe needs to get her rumen jump started again. Good luck!!