Sheeple?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have seen this term used on other forums (fora?), and have always taken it to mean that great mass (herd) of people who tend to follow the leader, not thinking much for themselves, "keeping up with the Jones'", because maybe they don't have enough trust in their own opinions to do things on their own, buying more than they can afford because the commercials tell them to.
But here on SS, on another thread, someone put forward a thought/fact on nutrition "I think it neutralizes the phytic acid in the grain, or something", and followed that with "makes me sound like a sheeple, doesn't it?"
Am I wrong then in my assessment of the accepted meaning of "sheeple"? As that particular fact about sprouting grains is kind of out of the sphere of generally known and accepted nutrition (I'm thinking here of "low fat, high fiber will cure what ails you; and that's really all you need to know"), perhaps this sort of *Nourishing Traditions* idea about *health food* is considered a fad, not really important, too much trouble to bother with, or (God forbid) "elitist", and perhaps this is what is meant by "sheeple" in the minds of some.
As I happen to think that nutrition is of great importance - being the basis, as it is, for good health and quality of life - I am curious to know if this puts me in the category of "sheeple" - most especially as this seems to be meant as a derogatory term. If thinking this way does put me into a class upon which others look down I will want to think about changing things so that that is no longer the case.
So please, satisfy my curiosity, and tell me what is brought to your mind when you hear/read the word "sheeple"

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use it interchangeably to be on one hand, my sheep, of whom I refer to as sheep people, hence the "sheeple". But I have also, in the past, been known to use it as a derogatory term for the herd mentality on most any subject. Those who follow blindly because it is the path of mass opinion and never think to challenge the accepted wisdom on the issue.

In my own backyard, I love the sheeple! In my dealings with the world outside my door, I can barely stand the sheeple mentality.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hide I thought it was better then lemming.

Urban Dictionary-"sheeple

A individual that forfits their right to choose in favor of inclusion in groupthink and what is viewed as popular or elete group. Allowing the influences of different forms of media and group members to hold great sway in the formation of attitudes, behavoir and opinion.
To accept the group mentaility and opinion as fact without examination.
Not only to be told what to do, but accepting the paradigm of thought as absolute thereby removing the weight of personal responsibility in the making of decisions."

We all have the sheeple mentality at times. It is un-avoidable.

You speak on the *health food* topic. Well,remember the 70's and 80's? Jane Fonda? GNC? That, IMHO, reflected "sheeple mentality". I would feel more insulted, if I was to be called "elitist"...rather then "sheeple".

I feel we all have come a long way in terms of living healthier lives. But we still cannot change the masses. There will always be Cheetos, McDonalds, Pepsi and Coke....etc

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is an interesting question. To me at least. In mind when I hear the word sheeple, it kinda reminds me of the book the lord of the flies. The fact that its not j ust people following blindly. within the book i am speaking of there are two distinct leaders, one philosophical, in other words rules by his smarts not his strength, and the other is brute strength, relying on his power to rule. At first they follow the smart leader who bases his decisions on knowledge and less on whim, but in the end they go to the power hungry leader who treats his part of the island like his kingdom. The boys go to him because, it is fun, its what they wanna do, at first. He lets them do whatever they please then after a little while he starts telling them what to do and how to live there lives and they even commit murder for him. But they had the initial choice to go to him and the reason for it is complacency, the ability of the person(s) to not worry about or do what they do not want to. And then it becomes the hoarding mass known as sheeple. In my mind at least. hope this made sense

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
POGS, COGS, SHEEPLE, and TOOLS are just some words I know I use in my daily life. :)

Sheeple: slang for people who blindly accept popular ideas, and
never think for themselves.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And is this a term you might use for a person who has more than a passing interest in nutrition?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To be 100% honest, I believe she meant that she sounded like a sheeple because she wasn't exactly certain of how something SS related worked.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
And is this a term you might use for a person who has more than a passing interest in nutrition?
No

The term doesn't fit in that situation to me. IMHO. :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick, I see that my use of the word "sheeple" was taken in a different context than I meant. I was referring to my willingness to accept an idea without fully understanding it. I "knew" that sprouted wheat is considered healthier than regular whole wheat, but I couldn't remember what it was that made it healthier. So I felt that my willingness to blindly prefer sprouted wheat was sheeple-like. I am sorry that it caused a problem; I was just poking fun at myself.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So to be a sheeple it HAS to be a popular idea?! Why?

I never use that term. I can't think of one single time I have ever...it sounds silly anyway :lol: I can't imagine it ever being offensive for that reason alone, it just sounds silly.

solucky, I "got" the cheeky joke :hu I poke fun and get in trouble too...join me on the time out couch whenever ya please, I'm usually there :gig