Shelling peas

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love French Breakfast- so mild!. A radish I've been enjoying the last few years is Rat Tail radishes. They don't grow a bulbous root like the others; instead, you harvest the seed pods (which makes them perfect for summer since you WANT them to bolt, lol). They look a little like a skinny pea or bean, and have the same spicy bite as the root radishes. You can eat them fresh in a crudite plate, or pickle them, or cook them in a stir fry (they lose a lot of their heat then). The yield is very good too, typically I only need 3-6 plants to be inundated. As long as you pick them while the seeds are small and immature, the plant will keep producing all summer and fall.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Electric kimchi maker? I've never heard of such a thing - but shouldn't be surprised. I do love my kimchi though...off to google...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use an old ice chest half full of cool water to do my sauerkraut and pickles. If it's especially warm, I float a small water bottle that I froze for that purpose. I would imagine the kimchi needs about the same range of temps- 65-70F?
I also saw where someone bought one of those small wine coolers and set the temp to what she wanted. I'm too cheap for that, though... my method has worked fine so far.

if it is low cost and works well enough i sure won't knock it! :)