Shelling peas

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Radish: French breakfast is a nice mild one. Excellent flavor. No bite. But, all radish must be grown with good fertility and water. Let them dry out or slow their growth, and you're going to have hot pithy roots.

An old timer favorite English pea was Progress #9. that's all my Dad ever grew. Fairly short vine, so no staking required. I believe it's still available.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any radish will produce rat tails, though not as long as the variety marketed for that purpose. If I find that my FB has gotten too old for the roots to be tasty, I may let them go to the next step, and harvest the rat tails. But, I much prefer the FB roots! You are making me impatient for gardening season to start again!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daikons make a great kimchi. It needs a set temp to ferment so I dont try making my own and just buy it. Temp in this house swings too much. I should give in and buy an electric kimchi maker but that takes space.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never tried Kimchi, or Kombucha, or any of those other fermented things. The most I've tried in the way of non-traditional is Tempeh. My BIL used to make it. When ever they came to visit, he'd have a bag of fermenting soy beans with him.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use an old ice chest half full of cool water to do my sauerkraut and pickles. If it's especially warm, I float a small water bottle that I froze for that purpose. I would imagine the kimchi needs about the same range of temps- 65-70F?
I also saw where someone bought one of those small wine coolers and set the temp to what she wanted. I'm too cheap for that, though... my method has worked fine so far.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I knew the variety Grandma grew when I was a kid. She bought seed from the local grain co-op and they quit carrying it in the 80s

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a comparison from Johnny's select seeds. Has anyone grew maxigolt? I'm sowing early this year hopefully the beginning if February. After this spring that lasted 10 days I didn't even have a spring garden.

Attachments

• peas-shell-snap-comparison-chart.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 357

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple hull peas! BTW they are not green peas. We call those English peas.