Shelling peas

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Radish: French breakfast is a nice mild one. Excellent flavor. No bite. But, all radish must be grown with good fertility and water. Let them dry out or slow their growth, and you're going to have hot pithy roots.

An old timer favorite English pea was Progress #9. that's all my Dad ever grew. Fairly short vine, so no staking required. I believe it's still available.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Radish: French breakfast is a nice mild one. Excellent flavor. No bite. But, all radish must be grown with good fertility and water. Let them dry out or slow their growth, and you're going to have hot pithy roots.

An old timer favorite English pea was Progress #9. that's all my Dad ever grew. Fairly short vine, so no staking required. I believe it's still available.

most of the radishes i grow here are for ground cover, cover crop, flowers and seeds. i hardly ever eat them other than the sprouts. within six weeks the daikons can be bigger around than my arms. they self-seed now so i haven't been having to replant them from my seed supply. the turnips were doing that too, but i chopped them all down this past year so i don't think i have many turnip seeds to sprout for next year out there. i do have a bag of those on hand though (the grain elevator sells them by the lb for a few $) - i think...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ARGH - peanut butter and veggies should NOT go together! (But, I might try it at least once.) My favorite way to eat radishes is on a saltine cracker with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of salt. Call me crazy, lol!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Buy a packet of French Breakfast. Then, let me know what you think! I use FB as row markers, as well as planting a few every couple of weeks throughout the summer.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love French Breakfast- so mild!. A radish I've been enjoying the last few years is Rat Tail radishes. They don't grow a bulbous root like the others; instead, you harvest the seed pods (which makes them perfect for summer since you WANT them to bolt, lol). They look a little like a skinny pea or bean, and have the same spicy bite as the root radishes. You can eat them fresh in a crudite plate, or pickle them, or cook them in a stir fry (they lose a lot of their heat then). The yield is very good too, typically I only need 3-6 plants to be inundated. As long as you pick them while the seeds are small and immature, the plant will keep producing all summer and fall.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any radish will produce rat tails, though not as long as the variety marketed for that purpose. If I find that my FB has gotten too old for the roots to be tasty, I may let them go to the next step, and harvest the rat tails. But, I much prefer the FB roots! You are making me impatient for gardening season to start again!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daikons make a great kimchi. It needs a set temp to ferment so I dont try making my own and just buy it. Temp in this house swings too much. I should give in and buy an electric kimchi maker but that takes space.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Electric kimchi maker? I've never heard of such a thing - but shouldn't be surprised. I do love my kimchi though...off to google...