shortages? thoughts?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
glad to see Jif back on the shelves. we're still working our way through a 2nd 5lb jar of Skippy so we won't need any for another month or so but it is nice to see it back.
Organic PB (the kinds that don't contain palm oil) have not recovered from the Jif recall. I've been able to pick up a jar here and there, usually the last one left on the shelf. I hope I can get 2 more when I go grocery shopping tomorrow.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who has plans or already has a smokehouse and or root cellar? What do you like/dislike about yours? I'm in process of researching both. But will most likely just go with Storey's publications for both as my guide. I find myself referring to Storey Country Living more and more.
Screenshot_20220825-175009~2.png

Screenshot_20220825-174950~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Jif doesn't have palm kernel oil (just in case anyone else thinks that is what is being implied by the above text :) ).

i'm sure that was a problem as a bunch of people were caught out by not having their peanut butter. i'm glad we were ok with having Skippy for a while, but i'll be glad to go back to Jif when we're done with this jar.
Regular Jif doesn't have palm oil, but it has mono- and di- glycerides which mess me up in the same way. Their "natural" Jif has palm oil in it. IDK why peanut butter has to be so complicated, and why the products with fewer ingredients (peanuts, salt) need to cost more?

No luck on peanut butter tonight, but I was able to get cream! :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I know the clay deposits they mined were up to 80 feet in thickness. There were several types there. When the hill they were mining was gone they quit. Can't dig down here without flooding. I was reading an old state report from the 1920s on clay and shale deposits here I found online. It was very interesting.
I love those old documents. Ohio has well drilling logs online. Very cool to see what was drilled through

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its cherry picked information that is misleading. In 2011 to 2015 there were over 37 THOUSAND fires in industry/manufacturing facilities **per year**. Fires are not new and not a conspiracy.

This is not the the first round of avian flu. 2015 was worse.

There is no conspiracy. Fact checking is easy - more people should try it.
either way thats alot of birds.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
considering how many such places there are i find the number not very convincing. sorry, it's just human nature or brain ware of humans is set up to detect patterns and it will do so even if there aren't any there at times too. many conspiracy theory sites or different news outlets with an agenda will push such things as news, when it is really more likely just coincidences.

if you aren't very familiar with statistics and probability you can easily think that some things that happen are miracles or supernatural, but no, really, they're not, they're coincidences or the one in a million thing that happened and you just were the one to notice or have it happened to. with the ever-present internet for the whole world connecting together this is even more likely to be noticed and then spread around.

do conspiracies happen or targetted attacks? sure. do i think there's some global conspiracy to attack food processing and growers? no.

and speaking of long-shots, i've had a few pay off and i've also heard from friends about some really interesting things that have happened to them that seem really wild. but nope. it's just the case that long shots will come in for someone or even yourself and that's just how it goes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This list was posted before (and by family on hubby's side on FB).

I pointed out they have the Hermiston food processor there twice. It also had problems leading up to that.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
either way thats alot of birds.

that's true and it doesn't help anyone out when it happens, but it sure makes you wonder how such a system can be so vulnerable to infections that spread so rapidly to so many animals. to me it is another signal that perhaps they're putting way too many animals in too close and confined spaces and they are probably not being kept all that great if they're so succeptible to getting infected. plus how are the germs getting in there to begin with?! their quarantine methods must be really shoddy - even after being warned the disease is around and spreading...