shortages? thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know the clay deposits they mined were up to 80 feet in thickness. There were several types there. When the hill they were mining was gone they quit. Can't dig down here without flooding. I was reading an old state report from the 1920s on clay and shale deposits here I found online. It was very interesting.

where i lived for 14 years of my childhood there were two large claypits nearby. one was still active up until i was about 10 and then they turned it into a landfill. when it was active they'd haul trainloads out of there and for a while the loaded traincars sat along the siding so we'd get in them and get chunks of clay out of there. it was very white and clean stuff. great to play with. :)

the other had been dug out for a long time before we moved there and it was full of water so we usually went swimming there and fished and played. eventually it was bought for the irrigation water and storage it provides. it's pretty big for this area (there aren't any natural lakes in Saginaw County).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its cherry picked information that is misleading. In 2011 to 2015 there were over 37 THOUSAND fires in industry/manufacturing facilities **per year**. Fires are not new and not a conspiracy.

This is not the the first round of avian flu. 2015 was worse.

There is no conspiracy. Fact checking is easy - more people should try it.

so true. there are many thousands and perhaps even millions of food processors or food producers. while there may be some attempts and conspiracies to destroy things i suspect it is a vast minority of events. more likely they are chance fires, or even arson or false insurance claims or mad ex-partners or ... well all sorts of things that people, animals and nature can provide (for restaurants grease build up in old ventilation is a common issue, lightning can provide a fire starting spot that can smoulder for days, rodents chewing wires, etc.).

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wild birds - typically waterfowl. Backyard keepers were told to keep flocks covered to protect from wild bird poo falling from the sky

All the backyard infections here in Washington have been direct contact with wild waterfowl. People ignored the warnings to not let birds free range. Why we are still getting infections.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Re: COVID and all medical topics (especially nutrition!!!), the truth is too nuanced for the media and changes continually. Only use a primary source for these topics. Not a government source unless you are looking for incidence/prevalence data.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Only big taxes that has gone up for us isn't actually a rate increase. On property tax they assessed our place at worth 100k more than last year. That's an issue caused by the current houses bubble. I saw the same thing back in Virginia Beach in the 2000s leading up to that crash.

Meat has gone up a little. Most things have at the grocery here. Not huge amounts when it's just been a price increase. It's the product downsizing that really increases the cost per ounce. Yes, I always check. Mom carried a calculator in her purse when I was a kid just to do that. Some things stick. Like figuring out mpg after every fill up, never dropping below 1/4 tank because we live away from the city, knowing that just because gas is $0.5 cheaper across town, you'll spend more than you save going there and back.

Labor costs more so there have been minor increases to cover that. The flats of berries we buy went up $2. That was all over the wage increases.

Good deals can be found. Guess what I'm smoking tomorrow.
View attachment 19490
I'm dismayed by the housing bubble that's starting. 2008 wasnt that long ago... how is it happening again? I don't understand the current housing bubble.

Produce prices are up the most - up 10% nationwide average. Not all is true inflation, there's all the weather and water issues too.

Walmart organic spring mix was 6 oz less (10 oz instead of 16 oz) and $1 more. Hahahaha, NOPE.

The price gouging part of the current inflation assumes that demand is "inelastic" - that people will buy it anyway because they need it.

Not me - I will boycott brands/products/stores and get it elsewhere. In this case, I'll buy local organic leafy greens that are available at all the other grocery stores in my area. The local ice dispenser raised their price from $1 to $2. But, the sign says its a "bigger" 8# bag. But. Whoops, they didnt cover up the old sign that says the old bag was 8#. Oh heck no, I went somewhere else and gladly paid $2.50 per 8# bag from a store that doesnt lie about a price change. The ice dispenser people could have just said its because the water/sewer price is going up 70% in order to fund a new water treatment plant. Or not said a reason at all. 🤷‍♀️ I dont take dishonesty well.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wild birds - typically waterfowl. Backyard keepers were told to keep flocks covered to protect from wild bird poo falling from the sky

i understand this for smaller backyard flocks and smaller operations but i was mainly wondering about the largest places that do chickens and many of them that i've seen are not exposed to the outside at all. the birds are kept confined completely inside so there shouldn't be any exposure to the birds outside unless someone is somehow transmitting the disease in on their shoes or clothes and that means they're not doing things properly for such a vulnerable population even after they've been warned that the disease is around.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had planned last winter on supplementing feed for the cattle and fowl with summer squash and zucchini. It's looking like the time is getting nearer, the squash are dieing back. I know there's a lot left to pick out of the garden. If there is one thing I can grow, it's zucchini and summer squash. It's very easy to grow and even easier to get out of hand 🙄 I just need to figure out a good way to chop them up on demand 🤔

I already know the cattle like both cut up zucchini & summer squash because I've fed them some already. I've fed the turkeys and chickens sliced summer squash and zucchini in the past before they seem to like it also they peck at it. Just not sure about the ducks, I may need to chop it fine for them or maybe ferment? Anyone have experience here, they could share?

IMG_20220823_212235156.jpg

Jesus is Lord and a Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸