shortages? thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Regular Jif doesn't have palm oil, but it has mono- and di- glycerides which mess me up in the same way. Their "natural" Jif has palm oil in it. IDK why peanut butter has to be so complicated, and why the products with fewer ingredients (peanuts, salt) need to cost more?

No luck on peanut butter tonight, but I was able to get cream! :D

i eat a lot of peanut butter but so far i've not found much difference in how my body reacts to any of them. my blood lipids are high but they are high in the good kinds so the docs tell me to keep doing what i am doing (get a lot of exercise, eat a fair amount of vegetables and beans and not too much meat).

i avoid palm kernel oil in anything if i can help it because of the damage the plantations are doing to the forests. i also find that any chocolate that uses it tends to have a rather icky texture so i also don't like it for that reason.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know the clay deposits they mined were up to 80 feet in thickness. There were several types there. When the hill they were mining was gone they quit. Can't dig down here without flooding. I was reading an old state report from the 1920s on clay and shale deposits here I found online. It was very interesting.

where i lived for 14 years of my childhood there were two large claypits nearby. one was still active up until i was about 10 and then they turned it into a landfill. when it was active they'd haul trainloads out of there and for a while the loaded traincars sat along the siding so we'd get in them and get chunks of clay out of there. it was very white and clean stuff. great to play with. :)

the other had been dug out for a long time before we moved there and it was full of water so we usually went swimming there and fished and played. eventually it was bought for the irrigation water and storage it provides. it's pretty big for this area (there aren't any natural lakes in Saginaw County).

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks 👍 I looked for a gravity wagon over the summer, none could be found within a 100 mile radius 🙄 I would like to buy bulk feed, I just don't have anything to load it in.

Typical Gravity Wagon
View attachment 20029

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
@CrealCritter ... gravity wagons are okay... but we get our feed delivered and put into the grain bins by the feed store trucks.
Bins are round, have a hatch on top to open and feed run in by the auger arm on the bulk feed truck. Has a small slider on the bottom that I slide and fill 5 gallon buckets from. Poly dome makes a poly one, Sioux and Farmerboy AG make metal ones. Probably other manufacturers. If there are any dairy farms around there that have gone out of the dairy business, see if they have any. Sometimes the bottom neck and slide need to be replaced. There is sometimes some rust in the sides...pop rivet pieces of metal will fix. Any grain that gets even a little moldy can be fed out free choice to the chickens.
Most gravity wagons only carry a ton or 2 and they are awkward to take any distance to a feed mill.... AND they are open topped.... birds, mice, rats and other things like possums can get in them. Also, snakes after mice....
They are designed to be used behind a small sheller pulled behind a tractor shelling corn etc. They are definitely a plus, but we find that having the feed in an upright bin is much less likely to attract "vermin" , and it is less work and aggravation to get a mix from the feed mill just delivered. Our one local mill does not charge for delivery over 2 tons either.