shortages? thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Organic PB (the kinds that don't contain palm oil) have not recovered from the Jif recall. I've been able to pick up a jar here and there, usually the last one left on the shelf. I hope I can get 2 more when I go grocery shopping tomorrow.

Jif doesn't have palm kernel oil (just in case anyone else thinks that is what is being implied by the above text :) ).

i'm sure that was a problem as a bunch of people were caught out by not having their peanut butter. i'm glad we were ok with having Skippy for a while, but i'll be glad to go back to Jif when we're done with this jar.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who has plans or already has a smokehouse and or root cellar? What do you like/dislike about yours? I'm in process of researching both. But will most likely just go with Storey's publications for both as my guide. I find myself referring to Storey Country Living more and more.
Screenshot_20220825-175009~2.png

Screenshot_20220825-174950~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No root cellars here. It would be flooded fast. I'd love to have one and have thought about building an earthbag or earth sheltered one above ground. The little shed I insulated does ok but it's small.

We've talked about a smokehouse but havent got around to it yet.

I'm thinking about building a small kiln if my test project does well. I'd dug down the 2 feet and chunked out some clay. Processed all the rocks out. It's now drying up some to workable stage. I'm thanking my wonderful art teacher who taught me how to do some of this in high school. Memories have come back well on it. There used to be a commercial clay mine down the road a few miles.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Jif doesn't have palm kernel oil (just in case anyone else thinks that is what is being implied by the above text :) ).

i'm sure that was a problem as a bunch of people were caught out by not having their peanut butter. i'm glad we were ok with having Skippy for a while, but i'll be glad to go back to Jif when we're done with this jar.
Regular Jif doesn't have palm oil, but it has mono- and di- glycerides which mess me up in the same way. Their "natural" Jif has palm oil in it. IDK why peanut butter has to be so complicated, and why the products with fewer ingredients (peanuts, salt) need to cost more?

No luck on peanut butter tonight, but I was able to get cream! :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No root cellars here. It would be flooded fast. I'd love to have one and have thought about building an earthbag or earth sheltered one above ground. The little shed I insulated does ok but it's small.

We've talked about a smokehouse but havent got around to it yet.

I'm thinking about building a small kiln if my test project does well. I'd dug down the 2 feet and chunked out some clay. Processed all the rocks out. It's now drying up some to workable stage. I'm thanking my wonderful art teacher who taught me how to do some of this in high school. Memories have come back well on it. There used to be a commercial clay mine down the road a few miles.
I'm jealous of your clay! I want clay to make the right type of soil for a hamster habitat, but dry/powdered clay is incredibly expensive (mostly shipping, of course). I'm debating getting a block of wet clay, cutting it into small chunks, drying it out and then grinding it with mortar and pestle. So much work... I would need like 50# of it too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know the clay deposits they mined were up to 80 feet in thickness. There were several types there. When the hill they were mining was gone they quit. Can't dig down here without flooding. I was reading an old state report from the 1920s on clay and shale deposits here I found online. It was very interesting.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I know the clay deposits they mined were up to 80 feet in thickness. There were several types there. When the hill they were mining was gone they quit. Can't dig down here without flooding. I was reading an old state report from the 1920s on clay and shale deposits here I found online. It was very interesting.
I love those old documents. Ohio has well drilling logs online. Very cool to see what was drilled through